Adding lemon and lavender to a traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe is a little daring but it results in a delightful, buttery quick bread that’s just sweet enough to be perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. The touch of lemon and lavender boost it up to tea room level perfection – a delicious addition to your spring brunch table for Easter or Mother’s Day.
Table of Contents
Why THIS Irish Soda Bread Recipe?
Irish Soda bread is a quick bread that’s been around a long time. It’s a comfortable, cozy bread that you’d expect to find in farmhouse kitchens where the stone floors were worn and pitted with use. Just about every family with even a molecule of Irish blood running through its veins has a recipe for it!
I love this Irish soda bread recipe because it’s a quick, delicious way to get bread on the table and, with the lemon and lavender in it, it’s sweet and unique. It always brings a smile to the family’s faces when they see it on the table!
Anything with lavender and lemon in it is necessary for Spring holidays, as far as I’m concerned!
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Restless Chipotle & Co. Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
This Irish Soda bread baking dish with the Celtic knot design is gorgeous! It would be a great way to present this bread, wouldn’t it?
More Quick Bread Recipes…
Quick breads are easy enough for every day – I think that’s why they’re so popular! Most of these easy breads freeze well for up to 3 months when they are well wrapped.
Cheddar Rosemary Soda Bread from Closet Cooking looks like one of those recipes I’d make often.
Lavender Lemon Irish Soda Bread Recipe
While this is delicious for St Patrick’s Day I think of it more as an Easter or Mother’s Day recipe because between the lemon and the lavender the flavor is a bite of spring.
It’s delicious warm with a little honey butter or orange marmalade!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Lemon-Lavender Soda BreadPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 8-inch-diameter cake pan with nonstick spray, or butter it. Or just use parchment on a cookie sheet. This bread is super forgiving.
- Whisk flour, sugar, lemon zest/peel, lavender buds, salt, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Grate butter into the dry ingredients.
- Mix with a fork until the butter is evenly mixed in the dry ingredients.
- Make well in center of flour mixture.
- Mix the buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
- Stir to blend.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into ball.
- Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly.
- Cut a cross shape in top of dough.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool bread 10 minutes.
Submit Your Own Images
Let's Keep in Touch!