When you have a good blondie recipe in your possession you can create a bar cookie with almost infinite variations. I sometimes think that I like brown butter blondies bars better than brownies. They are rich, they are chewy, and they are sort of flavor-neutral in that there are SO many additions and variations that you can make! Plus the browned butter gives them an extra richness that I love.
When you combine the flavors of brown sugar, pecans, and bourbon whatever you are making becomes magical. There is richness, depth, and deliciousness. For me, flavor is as much a magic carpet ride as reading a book – I associate certain foods with specific experiences even if I haven’t actually experienced those things. It’s crazy!
The mind of a writer I suppose!
For example, these? These taste like you are sitting in a leather chair in the library of an old Victorian house on a rainy Saturday. At least they taste that way to me.
Yeah, let’s change the subject now. (I’m not crazy, I’m not crazy, I’m not crazy)
Blondies, like most bar cookies, travel well. This makes them fantastic for packing in school lunches or shipping to Afghanistan. It’s because they are so moist and that also causes a problem —
They will pick up flavors quickly.
Be careful what you pack these with. If you are shipping these in a college or military care package don’t ship perfumey things with them. No shampoos, candles, potpourri, aftershave, shower gel, bath fizzies…
You get the idea. The bars will arrive at their destination looking amazing… and tasting like Old Spice or Axe. Always send baked goods in a separate box if possible.
These brown butter blondies freeze well, too. Having some in the freezer means you can have an almost instant dessert when you have unexpected company or get a craving for something sweet. Try one of these warm with a scoop of butter pecan ice cream on top and some caramel syrup drizzled over it all.
Bourbon Brown Butter Blondies Recipe
Bourbon Brown Butter Blondies with White Chocolate and Pecans
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup white chocolate chunks
- 1 cup toasted , chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Let it get golden brown before removing from the heat.
- Strain out any burnt bits and cool.
- Butter a 13x 9 inch pan
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda
- Put the browned butter in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the sugar until no longer grainy
- Add the eggs, one at a time
- Add the vanilla and bourbon
- Stir in the dry ingredients
- Fold in the white chocolate and pecans
- Smooth into the prepared pan
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Do not overbake!
- Cool, and cut into desired sized bars.