What could be a better summer dessert than sweet corn pound cake?
I love fresh, sweet corn. I spent some of my childhood in New Jersey and never quite got over my love for that Jersey sweet corn. Where we lived we were surrounded by farms… and there was nothing that I liked better than when my mom quickly pulled over to the side of the road and bought a big basket of corn.
That meant one thing… Corn for dinner!
Corn, good fresh corn, has a flavor that is reminiscent of vanilla. I wanted to get that flavor in a cake but I didn’t want the grainy texture of cornmeal. I had an idea for a sweet corn pound cake that had a delicate, complex flavor that could be eaten plain or used as a base for fruit and sauces.
This pound cake is velvety and moist in texture. It has a faint corn scent that reminds you of summer cookouts but the flavor is almost undefinable. Your mouth wants to tell you vanilla but your brain keeps saying, “But wait..there is something else….”
This sounds more complex than it is. It really isn’t difficult and it is worth the time it takes to make the corn milk.
Sweet corn pound cake would be an awesome dessert to serve for Labor Day, say goodbye to Summer with this cake and maybe some grilled peaches or pears. Take it into Fall with a maple glaze… Really, this is so wonderful and yet so basic that you will come up with a myriad of ways to use it.
Because I was testing this recipe I decided to keep it simple with a honey flavored whipped cream. Corn and honey are a classic combo as far as I am concerned. It works really well in this but maple flavored whipped cream or maple glaze would be equally delicious.
Sweet Corn Pound Cake Recipe
If you love this sweet corn pound cake recipe please consider giving it 5 stars.
Sweet Corn Pound Cake with Honey Whipped CreamPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
Sweet Corn Poundcake
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels cut from cob, , cobs reserved
- 2/3 cup full fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup half and half cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Honey Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Sugar to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Break the cobs into several pieces.
- Add the corn and cobs to a large pot with buttermilk and cream. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat.
- Allow to infuse for one to two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Remove the cobs and puree the rest in a blender.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Measure one cup of the corn milk mixture and set it aside.
- Blend the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the corn milk mixture beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spoon into the bundt pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and remove to finish cooling on a rack.
- Cut and serve with a dollop of honey flavored whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Beat the cream until thickened.
- Add the honey and sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Do not overbeat!
- Taste and adjust flavor.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you liked Sweet Corn Pound Cake you may also like:
Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake Restless Chipotle
White Chocolate and Key Lime Bundt Cake Restless Chipotle
Samoa Bundt Cake Betsy Life
Triple Berry Summer Buttermilk Bundt Smitten Kitchen