These slow cooker steak sandwiches are full of BIG Texas flavor from the cornmeal sandwich rolls to the chipotle aioli but the real star of this show is the ultra-tender Certified Angus Beef® brand bottom round roast that’s braised to buttery perfection! I promise this is the granddaddy of all slow cooker steak recipes! It’s all part of this week’s #SundaySupper theme, Cowboy Cooking Recipes!
For this recipe you’ll need: cornmeal sandwich buns or other sandwich rolls, Certified Angus Beef® brand bottom round roast, salt, pepper, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, beer, chipotle aioli, smoked cheddar, onions, poblano, oil
Jump to Recipe
When I heard the theme for this weeks #SundaySupper recipe round up I knew I was all in with both boots and my hat, too. Cowboy cooking is near and dear to my heart and I’m a classic Texan — I’ll take the beef, thanks. This slow cooker steak sandwiches recipe is absolutely perfect for Sunday Supper because you toss everything in the slow cooker before you get ready for church then when you get home you take your little nap and by late afternoon your house smells amazing and your dinner is done.
So, I made special cornmeal sandwich buns for this recipe because I wanted the entire thing to really just scream Texas Flavors, y’all. The cornmeal gives the rolls a little extra texture and a sweet-nutty-wholesome flavor that I love. You can use sourdough baguettes or hoagie rolls from the deli if you want. Onion rolls would be great, too. Just not as good as the cornmeal sandwich rolls.
The other homemade component of this gorgeous, cowboy approved sandwich is the chipotle aioli. Now, before you think that I’ve gone all fancy on you I have to tell you that aioli is just French mayonnaise – and since this has chipotle in it I guess it isn’t even very French. You can get the same effect by mixing mashed chipotle in adobo with a good mayonnaise but… again… it won’t be quite as good.
When I was little cowboy boots were the only thing that fit me. My mom told me that they could take me into a shoe store and try on every pair of shoes but they all hurt until I got cowboy boots on my feet. Now, I’m not going to say that I wanted cowboy boots exactly but I will say that I don’t tend to settle for things I don’t want… rarely have. I’ll also say that I love shoes so if they were trying to get me into those boring white toddler high tops it’s no wonder that the black and red cowboy boots were the only ones that fit, yeah?
Do ya’ll miss window shopping? I mean, the whole going downtown and strolling the street, looking in all of the shops with the big windows for displaying everything? The shoe store we went to had a portico with tiny white and black tiles and a long display window on each side. The effect was walking down a hall, flanked by shoes of all kinds, until you got to the door. Now, in Dallas, window shopping in the summer could be deadly, especially since back then we dressed up to shop – dresses, gloves, hats…
I remember that walking under the portico caused the temperature to drop significantly. You could feel the heat dissipating… but opening the glass doors of the shop resulted in a blast of arctic air that lured you in and frosted your lungs with every breath. Plus there were always those gum machines. You stuck a penny in and turned the crank and held your hand until the opening until four or five pieces tumbled out. My hands were tiny and I can remember that I almost always had to scoop one up off the floor before my mom could see that it had dropped.
Waste not, want not – right?
You will not want to waste one bite of these glorious slow cooker steak sandwiches. The layers of flavor just keep coming in waves. Just don’t tell anyone how dang easy it is or you’ll be making them every day.
On second thought… that might not be a bad thing, huh?
Make It Yours – Tips for Yummy Variations
This is one slow cooker steak recipe you won’t want to forget but don’t be afraid to change it up to make it your own.
- Substitute candied jalapenos for the poblano
- Use garlic aioli instead of the chipotle aioli
- Try these cheddar cracked pepper rolls instead of the cornmeal rolls
- Use onion rings instead of blackened onions
- Try pepper jack or provolone instead of the smoked Cheddar
- Use your favorite bbq sauce
- You can never ever go wrong with sauteed mushrooms
- Add crispy bacon
Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches Recipe
A big thanks to Cindy Kerschner of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting this event. 🙂
Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef® Bottom Round Roast
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup beer
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the salt, paprika, cumin, garlic, and pepper.
- Rub on all sides of the meat.
- Add the meat to the slow cooker.
- Pour the beer in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
- Shred the meat and let simmer until ready to use.
Blackened Poblano and Onion
- Add a little oil to a heavy skillet.
- Heat until the oil shimmers.
- Add the onion and poblano and cook, stirring often, until blackened and soft.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Slice the sandwich buns in half.
- Spread with chipotle aioli.
- Mound the beef on the bun.
- Cover with cheese.
- Add cilantro as desired.
- Top with onions and poblano.
More Sunday Supper Cowboy Cooking Recipes
Beefed Up Main Dishes
- BBQ Beef Mac and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Chuckwagon Beef Stew by The Chef Next Door
- Cowboy Chili (Easy Texas Red Chili) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Cowboy Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
- Grilled Beef Skewers by The Freshman Cook
- Healthier Baked Italian Meatballs by Hardly A Goddess
- Hearty Steak and Black Bean Chili on Rice by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Steak and Egg Hash by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cowboy Burgers by Home Sweet Homestead
- Grilled Butter Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Open Faced Steak Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches by Restless Chipotle
- Barbecue Beef Skillet Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef and Cabbage Bake by Our Good Life
- Cowboy Nachos by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Baked Beans by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chicken Fried Ribeye by Life Tastes Good
- Curry Chili Rubbed Sirloin Steak by Food Done Light
- Grilled Porterhouse with Foil Pouch French Onion Green Beans by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Salisbury Steak by Cricket’s Confections
- Ribeye & Scallops with Beer-Butter Sauce by Gourmet Everyday
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
If you liked this slow cooker steak recipe you may also like…
Love these slow cooker steak sandwiches? How about these?
From left to right: Slow cooker Italian beef sandwiches, Slow cooker meatball sandwiches, Slow cooker shredded pork tacos with mango salsa
Part of Meal Plan Monday – check it out!