If you’re looking for a basic homemade donut recipe for glazed yeast donuts you’ve found it! This recipe is plain and just perfect for making glazed donuts, chocolate covered donuts, powdered donuts, or whatever topping you decide to use. Donuts aren’t difficult to make and with this recipe and these tips you’ll be ready to turn your kitchen into a donut shop in no time.
For this recipe you’ll need: yeast, ginger, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, lemon zest, butter, vanilla, Confectioner’s sugar, and white corn syrup
I was always afraid to make donuts from scratch. First of all, I was afraid of deep frying and second of all donuts happen to be available on nearly every major street corner in my town. What was the point?
It wasn’t until I had been collecting vintage cookbooks for awhile that I decided (read that “got the nerve”) to try a homemade donut recipe. The first time I dropped a donut in hot peanut oil I knew what the point was. It’s magic watching them cook and float to the top and it’s pure delight biting into one that’s only had seconds to cool down.
Making donuts made me feel like part of a long line of home cooks that had made donuts over the decades, including Almanzo Wilder’s mama in Farmer Boy. Best of all I learned that fresh, homemade donuts are delicious whether they’re yeast donuts like these or cake donuts.
Tips for Perfect Donuts
It’s easy to make homemade donuts from scratch! There are a few tricks and tips that will help you achieve the perfect result:
- Homemade yeast donuts will make fluffy donuts while cake donuts are quicker.
- Make sure the dough is well chilled so it’s not too sticky.
- Always cut the dough straight down with even pressure – don’t twist the cutter.
- Peanut oil is best for frying if no one has allergies.
- The oil should be completely up to temperature. 365F to 375F is best.
- Only fry a few at a time or the oil will cool down too much.
- Flip the donuts when they rise to the top and are light golden underneath.
- Keep the dough as soft as possible for light donuts. Refrigerate it as needed to keep it from being too sticky.
- Always use clean oil.
- Drain the donuts into the fryer for a few minutes before removing them to absorbent paper.
- Served immediately or freeze.
- If you’re freezing the donuts don’t glaze them first.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
An electric deep fryer makes frying SO much easier, y’all. Seriously – get one.
Homemade Donut Recipe
This homemade donut recipe with it’s sweet, sticky glaze makes a dozen (or more) light, delicious donuts. If you don’t want to use the glaze you can roll them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
If you like this recipe (and I know you will) please consider giving it 5 stars.
Homemade Yeast Donut Recipe
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 Pinch of ginger
- 1/4 cup warm water , ,110-115 degrees
- 1 1/2 cups milk, 110-115 degrees
- 1/2 cup sugar, ,divided use
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ,optional
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, ,melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 1/2 cups Confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup, , the clear kind. You may call it light corn syrup
- Fill a deep fryer will the peanut oil.
- Add ginger, yeast, water, and a tablespoon of sugar together in a stand mixer and set aside for 10 minutes, or until it gets bubbly and foamy.
- Add in the milk, remaining sugar, eggs, melted butter, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Blend well and 2 cups of the flour.
- Turn the stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, then add in the salt and as much flour as needed to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Brush the top of the dough with oil, cover the bowl with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until double - about an hour.
- Gently deflate dough.
- Working with half the dough at a time, roll it to 1/2 inch thick on a well floured surface.
- Dip the donut cutter in flour and cut the donuts.
- Preheat the deep fryer to 370F.
- Place the donuts on a parchment covered cookie sheet and set aside to rise for 30 minutes while the oil preheats.
- Fry the donuts on each side for about a minute and a half.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and hold over the fryer to drain off excess oil.
- Place on a couple of layers of paper towel or a brown paper grocery sack until all the donuts are fried.
- Dip into the glaze.
- Place on cooling rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar, water, vanilla, and corn syrup in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil hard for 2 tp 3 minutes.
If you liked this homemade donut recipe you may also like…
From left to right: fruit kolache, Texas sized Cinnamon Rolls, Gingerbread Waffles
You may also like these recipe from some of my favorite blogs…
Cinnamon and Sugar Baked Cake Donuts Busy Baker
Vanilla Baked Funfetti Donuts Baker By Nature
Part of Meal Plan Monday #99 – Check out all the great recipes!Let's Keep in Touch!