The perfect dinner for fall and winter - especially on blustery days! It’s loaded with fall-apart-tender bites of juicy beef, creamy potatoes, sweet carrots, and bold onion flavor.
Table of Contents
🗝️ Key takeaways
- Just toss a few ingredients into the crockpot and prepare to be wowed with fabulous flavor and a complete one-pot meal.
- This hearty dinner makes busy weeknights so easy. Leftovers keep well, so it's a great way to meal-prep ahead of time.
- The secret to making the best beef stew—with loads of onion flavor and tender beef—is much simpler than you think.
What is it about the fall and winter that makes you crave a warm, cozy, delicious meal? Well, whatever it is, this easy crockpot beef stew is the satisfying fix your whole family will enjoy.
No slow cooker? Check out these alternatives to a crockpot! You can still make your favorite recipes.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the green recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- I like to use precut beef stew meat or beef tips to make prep easy. You can substitute it for chuck or round roast and cut it yourself.
- Almost any kind of spud works in this recipe. Baby potatoes are my choice, but you can use cubed Red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
- If you want to add more veggies, feel free to toss in mushrooms, turnips, parsnips, or cubed pieces of squash.
- Use beef broth instead of water for a more savory flavor.
- Pour in a splash of leftover red wine or a bit of tomato paste. The acidity adds a deeper, complex flavor that tastes fabulous with beef.
- If you prefer a creamy beef stew, you can add a can of condensed mushroom soup.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions are in the green recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Peel and quarter the onions. Cut the carrots.
- Add beef to crockpot and sprinkle Lipton Recipe Secrets mix over top.
- Add potatoes, onion, and carrots, and pour the water in.
- Cover and cook on low for eight hours.
🥫 How to store leftovers
This easy beef stew recipe cooks in a crockpot, so it's pretty much effortless. Thankfully, enjoying leftovers is just as simple.
Spoon cooled stew into an airtight container and refrigerate for three or four days. If you want to freeze it, it'll last for up to three months.
Let frozen stew thaw overnight in the fridge, or speed up the process using the defrost setting of your microwave. Then, reheat the leftovers in the microwave (on full power) or the stove (over medium heat) until hot.
💭 Things to know
Expert Tip: I love using Lipton Onion Soup Mix to really boost the onion flavor. You can find it in most grocery stores near the canned soups.
- You can use butter, olive oil, or non-stick cooking spray to grease the crockpot. Doing so makes clean-up much simpler!
- Baby carrots cook well in the crockpot if you don't want to wash, peel, and cut regular carrots.
- Baby potatoes (or new potatoes) have really soft skin, so you don't have to remove it.
You don't have to, but you can! Recipes will have you brown steak before cooking it to lock in juices and get a nice crisp sear. The crockpot will tenderize the beef anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
The main ingredient is dehydrated onions! With a little water (or beef broth) and some slow-cooking magic, it creates a mouthwatering, old-fashioned flavor you just can't beat.
Crockpot manuals say that most recipes can be converted from low for eight hours to high for four. However, the key to super delicious beef stew is low, slow cooking, so I recommend sticking with low.
📚 Related recipes
- Old-Fashioned Beef and Noodles is creamy and rich, with a savory gravy you'll want to swim in—it's hearty comfort food, just like Mom's.
- Spicy, flavorful, and done in just a couple of hours, classic Beef Tips and Gravy never disappoints. Don't forget mashed potatoes!
- Trying to use up some Cube Steaks? This vintage-inspired meal has a thick, rich gravy and caramelized onion for loads of comfort and flavor.
🍽️ Serve with...
I love crockpot beef stew because it's a complete meal in one pot—you've got your veggies, meat, and potatoes already in there.
Even on a busy night, you can't forget a little something sweet. These old-fashioned snickerdoodle cookies are just the treat you need.
📓 Meal plans in minutes
Save time in the kitchen with this simple meal-planning app. All the recipes without all the ads. Sign up now and get a 14-day free trial!
Restless Chipotle recommends
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You'll definitely want a good slow cooker! This is the one that I've used for years.
📞 The last word
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please comment below and give it 5 stars!
Easy Crockpot Beef Stew with OnionsPrint Pin Recipe Save Saved!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 ounce packet of Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 pound onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 .5 pounds baby potatoes
- 4 carrots, cut in 4 pieces
- 1.5 cups water, or beef stock
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add meat.
- Sprinkle Liptono onion soup mix over the meat.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and onion.
- Pour water over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.