This deep, dark, black lager chocolate cake is one of the most memorable bundt cake recipes you’ll ever make! Your fork just sort of glides through the almost black cake and each bite fills your mouth with decadent chocolate flavored cake and silky-smooth ganache. This recipe was originally published May 2010 but has been reworked and rephotographed especially for #Choctoberfest 2017.
A huge thanks to Imperial Sugar for providing the sugar for this black lager chocolate cake recipe as well ad ALL my #Choctoberfest recipes this year — and to Rodelle for providing the baking cocoa. Although products were provided there was no financial compensation and – as always – all opinions are my own.
For this black lager chocolate cake recipe you’ll need: butter, Imperial Sugar, Imperial Dark Brown Sugar, eggs, vanilla, Rodelle Baking Cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, flour, salt, baking soda, sour cream, black lager or stout, heavy creamJump to Recipe
We’re going to be bathing in chocolate all week long here on Restless Chipotle! There will be recipes here as well as links to other blogs with chocolate recipes. So, settle in with a cup of hot chocolate ( I like to add a little Irish Cream!) and prepare yourself for your annual chocolate coma! A special thanks to The PinterTest Kitchen for putting together this annual, virtual event.
Today is one of my favorite days of the year, because it is the official start of #Choctoberfest. This is the third annual food blogger celebration of all things chocolate, made possible thanks to our gold sponsor Imperial Sugar and the other sponsors listed below.
This year over 70 bloggers are participating in #Choctoberfest 2017 and will be posting 200+ chocolate recipes over the next week. Keep your eyes peeled, visit any of the blogs listed below, or use the #Choctoberfest hashtag on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to follow along. You can also check out our #Choctoberfest Pinterest board, where we post chocolate recipes all year long.
You can also enter to win our #Choctoberfest prize pack. Thank to our amazing sponsors who are contributing the following items for the prize:
- $100 gift card to Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table from our gold sponsor Imperial Sugar
- 1 case of granulated white sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of light brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), and 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds) from our gold sponsor Imperial Sugar
- 16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint from our silver sponsor Barlean’s
- 300-piece Lindt LINDOR Truffles gift bag (you choose the flavors!) from blog sponsors The PinterTest Kitchen
This prize pack is valued at over $450! To enter, simply follow participating sponsors and bloggers using the below giveaway widget.
Stay tuned to see the delicious recipes bloggers have cooked up using Imperial Sugar and Barlean’s products. Thank you also to Davis Chocolate and Rodelle for being #Choctoberfest shoutout sponsors! Watch Instagram and Facebook to find out more about about their chocolate products.
Here is a complete list of all the bloggers participating in #Choctoberfest 2017, so you can see the recipes they are posting throughout the week:
The PinterTest Kitchen ♥ Fix Me a Little Lunch ♥ Savory Moments ♥ Crumbs in my Mustachio ♥ House of Nash Eats ♥ Bake It With Love ♥ That Recipe ♥ Hardly A Goddess ♥ Cooking With Carlee ♥ A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures ♥ Body Rebooted ♥ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings ♥ The Redhead Baker ♥ Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice ♥ Sweet Coralice ♥ Seduction in The Kitchen ♥ Cooks&Books&Recipes ♥ Everyday Eileen ♥ Under My Apple Tree ♥ Family Around The Table ♥ Bottom Left of the Mitten ♥ The Spiffy Cookie ♥ Fairyburger ♥ Join Us, Pull up a Chair ♥ Jonesin’ For Taste ♥ Jane’s Adventures in Dinner ♥ Take Two Tapas ♥ Jennifer Bakes ♥ The Unlikely Baker ♥ Hostess At Heart ♥ Karen’s Kitchen Stories ♥ Kate’s Recipe Box ♥ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats ♥ Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen ♥ Chocolate Slopes ♥ Little House Big Alaska ♥ Makes, Bakes and Decor ♥ 2 Cookin Mamas ♥ That Skinny Chick Can Bake ♥ Books n’ Cooks ♥ Mildly Meandering ♥ Living Ideas ♥ Restless Chipotle ♥ Get the Good Stuff! ♥ The Weekday Gourmet ♥ An Affair from the Heart ♥ West Via Midwest ♥ Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt ♥ The Bitter Side of Sweet ♥ Cookaholic Wife ♥ Daily Dish Recipes ♥ For the Love of Food ♥ The Saucy Southerner ♥ Cook’s Hideout ♥ By the Pounds ♥ Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota ♥ Sarah Cooks the Books ♥ Chef Sarah Elizabeth ♥ Fantastical Sharing of Recipes ♥ Sarah’s Bake Studio ♥ The Pajama Chef ♥ Frankly Entertaining ♥ Long Distance Baking ♥ Palatable Pastime ♥ The Freshman Cook ♥ The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine ♥ A Day in the Life on the Farm ♥ Wendy Polisi ♥ Tampa Cake Girl ♥ My Southern Sweet Tooth ♥ Canning and Cooking at Home ♥ Full Belly Sisters ♥ SuperSizeGuy.com ♥ Our Good Life ♥ The Life Jolie ♥
Darkest Chocolate Bundt Cake Ever!
I have to say that I am SO excited to be doing #Choctoberfest again this year! I mean, who doesn’t want an entire week devoted to chocolate, right? This awesome black lager chocolate cake is a GREAT way to start it off, too!
It’s really weird but dark beers like stouts and black lagers have a bittersweet flavor that just goes really well with chocolate and seems to coax even more flavor out of that magical ingredient. In fact, this black lager chocolate cake is so dense and chocolatey that it works best as a bundt cake. This is similar to a chocolate stout cake recipe except that it uses black lager – but the stout would work just as well.
Bundt cakes are probably my favorite cakes anyway – I mean, there are no layers to fill or fussy details to consider — just good cake!Black Lager Chocolate Cake is an easy bundt cake recipe - perfect for potlucks! #choctoberfest Click To Tweet
YOU MIGHT NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It’s no secret that I love Nordic Ware bundt pans! They are heavy, bake evenly, and last simply forever.
Black Lager Chocolate Cake Recipe
This is an easy chocolate cake that you’ll make again and again! It keeps fresh for days and you can freeze it for longer storage. It’s the perfect recipe to take to potlucks, too!
Always popular! And do check out Imperial Sugar’s website for more yummy recipes for entertaining and for plain old family fun!
Black Lager Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup butter, , unsalted - room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, , melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup black lager or stout
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons black lager or stout
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Butter and flour a bundt pan. If you use cocoa to flour the pan your cake will not have white streaks.
- Beat butter until fluffy - about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add sugars.
- Beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and cooled chocolate.
- Beat until evenly mixed.
- In a large bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk the sour cream and the beer until smooth.
- 10. Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the sour cream mixture.
- 11. Spoon into prepared bundt pan.
- 12. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 13. Let cool completely.
- 14. Loosen with knife and turn out from pan, carefully.
- 15. Let cool.
- 16. Heat the cream up until bubbles form around the edges and the cream begins to steam.
- 17. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate until smooth
- 18. Heat the beer in the microwave until it is just warm. Pour it into the ganache.
- 19. Mix until smooth and then spoon over cake.
If you liked this black lager chocolate cake recipe for #Choctoberfest you may also like…
From left to right: Southern Coconut Cake, Coca Cola Layer Cake with Salted Peanut Brittle, Burnt Sugar Layer Cake with Peanut Butter Mousse
Check out these other GREAT #Choctoberfest recipes!!
”Let's Keep in Touch!