Maple crumb cakes are an old fashioned breakfast. Basically, they are a tender, buttery muffin with c crumbly topping and they are super simple to make.
Honestly, they are even easier to eat. I am a morning person and getting up early has (almost) always been a pleasant experience for me. I enjoy the quiet house in the early mornings and I like watching the sky outiside my windows go from dark to pink to light.
This morning held quite a surprise – especially for us here in Texas. Could it be? I opened the door…
The horses were in the lean-to, the goats were cozy in their goat barn and the snow was clean and clear. Looks like we have a day off from school. You know what that means, right?
Yep. An extra special breakfast!
I did not have maple sugar, although this recipe would be better with it. I used organic maple extract from Frontier. If you have access to maple sugar, by all means use it rather than the sugar called for! Give these a try. You can freeze them for up to three months in an airtight package in the freezer.
Maple Crumb Cakes RecipePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar or maple sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp maple flavor
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add the flavoring and the egg.
- Beat well.
- Add the flour alternately with the half and half, and mix to a smooth batter.
- Spoon into muffin cups lined with silicon cups, paper baking cups, or greased.
- Top with topping and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients, except pecans, together and cut in butter with fingers.
- Add maple flavor and continue to cut in until all flavoring is absorbed and mixture is crumbly.
- Add pecans.
- Top each crumb cake before baking.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.