Lemon Bread Breakfast Braid is a great addition to any brunch or special breakfast. It is very similar to a Danish but without all of the fuss. You don't have to turn and chill the dough so this comes together much more quickly than a Danish would.
A lightly sweetened dough is spread with a cream cheese mixture and a layer of lemon curd. You can either use commercial or homemade lemon curd for this recipe. Do try the homemade at least once. It is super easy because you make it in a microwave!
I really can't chat long tonight. I am so excited — my husband and I are leaving for a short getaway to see my son and daughter-in-law for my birthday. I have several articles to write for clients and packing to do. Forgive me for being succinct in the post but do not let it deter you from making this Lemon Bread. It's absolutely mouthwatering.
The braiding is really quite simple. You'll just pull one of the tabs all the way over the center and press it gently into the dough. You then take a tab from the other side and do the same. Keep criss-crossing the dough until you get to the end and that's all there is to it.
If you do happen to make your own lemon curd be sure to make it the night before and use it chilled. I just think it works so much better that way. If you're pressed for time you can let the lemon bread rise, tightly covered, overnight in the refrigerator. Just pull it out and bake it the next morning.
The dough is lightly sweet but mostly rich and buttery. The lemon curd adds a nice tang. If you make your lemon curd try using Meyer Lemons the flavor is unforgettable. This would be perfect for an Easter or Mother's Day brunch.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Lemon Bread Breakfast BraidPrint Save Go to Collections
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sugar for sprinkling on braid
Cream Cheese Filling
- ⅔ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup unbleached, , all-purpose flour.
- ½ cup lemon curd, (I used Meyer Lemons)
- Combine the ingredients for the sponge in a bowl.
- Whisk together and cover with plastic wrap.
- Set aside for 10 minutes
- In the bowl of your mixer combine the sponge, yogurt, butter, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead with your mixer on speed 2 about 5 minutes or so.
- Add more flour as needed to make a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, oil the top, cover with a tea towel and let rise until double – about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Deflate the dough gently.
- Divide it into two equal parts.
- Roll out the first part into a 10 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Combine all the filling ingredients except the lemon curd in a bowl.
- Mixt until smooth.
- Set aside.
Assembly and Baking
- Place the rectangle on parchment.
- Lightly press the back of a butter knife into the dough marking it vertically into three equal parts.
- Spread the middle section with half the cream cheese and then top with half the lemon curd.
- Cut 1 inch crosswise strips down each of the outside sections. Make sure you have an equal number of strips on each side.
- Lift on of the dough strips and gently bring it across the filling diagonally.
- Repeat on the other side do that the strips cross each other.
- Continue down the braid alternating strips.
- Repeat for second loaf.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour – until puffy and doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Beat the egg yolk with the cream.
- Brush the egg mixture lightly over the loaves.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you like Lemon Bread Breakfast Braid you might also like:
Lemon Curd Sweet Rolls Baking with Curls
Orange Scones Shugary Sweets
Easy Croissants Restless Chipotle
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Crowns Restless Chipotle