Cranberry cookies are a holiday classic. A buttery dough envelopes tangy cranberries, nuts, and just a hint of citrus.
Years ago I was visiting in Mass. and we toured Plymouth. On the way there we drove past several cranberry bogs ready to harvest. They had been filled with water and the cranberries were bobbing around on the surface. It was an amazing sight - several acres of rich crimson, shifting and moving on the gently lapping water. I had never seen cranberries in anything more exotic than a plastic bag so I thought it was the coolest thing ever.[pullquote]Good, ripe cranberries will bounce, thus Bounceberry is another name for them. This is because the berries have pockets of air inside - which also cause them to float.[/pullquote]
You can buy cranberries in season and throw the whole bag in the freezer for long term storage. Cranberry cookies, cranberry bread, cranberry muffins, cranberry sauce — the list goes on and on.
Keep i mind that. They have loads of vitamin C and they really do help fight urinary tract infections. My doctor even recommends them for that use!
Cranberry cookies are a favorite here. The one chore I hate is chopping the darn things because they roll around! Use a food processor to make it easy, just don't over-process them.
These cookies freeze and ship well..
Cranberry Nut CookiesPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, , packed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tbs grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped frozen or fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease baking sheets.
- Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
- Stir in orange juice and egg.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Stir in nuts and cranberries.
- Drop dough by tablespoons about 2" apart on greased baking sheet.
- If you are making these to bake later flash freeze them and add them to freezer bags.
- Bake 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to wire cooling racks to cool completely.
- Mix glaze ingredients until smooth and spread on cookies.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.