This Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake is perfect for holidays and parties. It’s an easy potluck dessert recipe that everyone loves! Tender, buttery yellow cake has French vanilla pudding poured over it, and is topped with a rich, shiny, ganache chocolate glaze. You can even make it a day ahead of time! Instructions for from scratch recipe as well as a recipe using a boxed mix. Welcome to day 4 of #Choctoberfest 2018!
For this recipe you’ll need: yellow cake mix, or this yellow cake recipe baked in a 13×9 inch pan, French vanilla instant pudding mix, or this vanilla pudding, dark or bittersweet chocolate chocolate chips, heavy cream, butter
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake Recipe Backstory
I am a pastry addict. I fell in love with cream puffs at my best friends house when I was 5 and I have fed that addiction (literally) ever since… which is 53 years if you do the math. I love the combination of creamy custard and pastry or cake, the chocolate and vanilla combo… ALL of it.
So what does that have to do with Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake?
Well, as far as I am concerned a Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake is a stinkin’ easy way to get the same kind of flavor that you get in a cream puff only it takes SO much less time and is SO much easier! This is one of my favorite recipes to take to church picnics and family get-togethers because it travels so well, too. It’s a super easy potluck dessert recipe but it’s also great for family game night, or just a great way to tell the people you love that they are special.
I’ve made it with boxed cake mix and boxed pudding AND I’ve made it from scratch – it just depends on how much time I have. I think I like the from scratch version a touch better but hey — whatever works for you!
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake FAQs and Stuff You Need to Know
Level: Super easy – anyone cake make this
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is exactly what it sounds like! It’s a cake that you poke holes in after baking. Then you fill the holes with some kind of filling. It’s so easy and SO good. Since you leave it right in the baking pan for serving it’s an absolutely perfect potluck dessert!
How do you make a Boston cream filling for a cake?
Traditionally the filling in a Boston Cream Pie is a cooked custard but you can use instant pudding mix if you want to save time. If you use instant pudding mix I suggest using 1/2 cup less milk than called for on the box. This keeps it thicker and I think it works better. Vanilla or French vanilla are traditional flavors but chocolate, butterscotch, pistachio… heck — it’s all good.
Step By Step Images
How do you make poke cakes? How do you make a pudding poke cake?
Poke cakes are super easy.
- You’ll bake a cake (boxed or from scratch) in a 13×9 inch rectangular pan.
- Use a thin dowel or the round end of a wooden spoon handle (anything about the diameter of a pencil) and poke holes evenly through the cake while it’s still warm.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over – sometimes recipes call for sweetened condensed milk, or caramel sauce, or whatever. This is where you’ll pour the warm pudding over, being careful to get it in the holes you poked in the cake. Same thing if it’s a jello poke cake.
- Now you cover the whole thing and refrigerate it overnight to let the pudding set.
- Next day make your glaze and pour it over the cooled pudding.
- Chill it and let it set for 30 minutes and it’s ready to go!
- Always keep leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator.
More Cakes from Restless Chipotle
We love our cakes around here! If you are looking for easy cakes that travel well here are some of my favorites! They are perfect potluck desserts!
- Patriotic Jello Poke Cake (but you could use any color combination)
- Pig Pickin’ Cake
- Holy Cow Cake
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? A brand new store full of things to help you make the recipes, celebrate the days, and create the memories! Check out Restless Chipotle & Co. As always, thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
If you like poke cakes you’re gonna LOVE this Poke Cake cookbook! It’s full of them and they are definitely unique. You’ll be the queen of the church potluck in no time!
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake Recipe
This easy poke cake recipe is sure to be a family favorite! Don’t forget you can vary the filling flavors to create a variety of cakes from this recipe. 🙂 You can ever use half vanilla pudding and half chocolate pudding so that each side has its own flavor! How cool is that?
Pretty dang cool. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars. Thanks!
Boston Cream Pie Poke CakePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 13x9 inch yellow cake, , baked from a boxed mix or homemade
To Use Instant Pudding
- 7.8 ounces instant pudding mix, , 2 4-serving size boxes
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
To Use Homemade Pudding
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
Make the Cake
- Make the cake according to directions, baking it in a 13x9-inch pan.
- While the cake is still warm poke holes all over the cake at about 1 inch intervals using a dowel about the same diameter as a pencil - maybe a little bigger.
- Poke through the cake to the bottom!
Prepare the Pudding
- Whisk together the instant pudding with 3 1/2 cups of whole milk. OR make the homemade pudding according to instructions. Do not let it set up.
- Pour evenly over the cake getting it into all the holes. A lipped measuring cup works great for this.
- Spread the pudding over the cake pushing it gently into the holes.
- Let the remaining pudding for a thick layer on the top of the cake.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Make the Ganache
- Heat the cream and butter in the microwave until almost bubbling.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the chocolate until it's melted and completely smooth.
- Pour over chilled cake and smooth with a spatula.
- Return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
More #Choctoberfest Recipes!
Included in Meal Plan Monday Thanksgiving Edition