These easy tuna tacos are quick enough for lunch or busy weeknight dinner but yummy enough that you’ll want to make them often! Big chunks of albacore tuna are tossed in lime juice and cilantro, then added to a warm, soft corn tortilla. Tangy cumin cream, salty Cojita cheese, and crunchy red cabbage add to the color and flavor of this dish.
For this recipe you’ll need: Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in water, red cabbage, onions, cilantro, sour cream, limes, salt, pepper, Cojita cheese (optional), salsa verde, corn tortillas, smoked paprika, roasted, shelled pumpkin seeds (optional)
We all know how I feel about Tex-Mex food, right?
Well, I’ve never been a big fan of fish tacos. They aren’t really very popular in Texas (comparatively speaking) and I am not a huge seafood eater. I’ve been perfectly happy with the occasional shrimp or lobster dinner, or a can of albacore after a workout. When Bumble Bee® asked me to create a dish for them that y’all would absolutely love I was pretty sure they weren’t talking about opening a can, draining it, and added salt and pepper. So, I did what I do best, I took a glass of wine out to the hot tub and thought about it.
Of course, the first thing to come to mind was a tuna taco. I’ve seen Ahi tuna tacos and even tasted one once. They look pretty but the flavor was not my favorite. Plus, I don’t know about you but I don’t have time or the budget to goof around with fancy tuna. I wanted easy tuna tacos but I was afraid that canned tuna would be too shredded. I had forgotten that Bumble Bee® Albacore was firm without any of that shredded stuff. Nice, big chunks of Albacore look pretty and they don’t get lost in the other ingredients!
I admit that I am not the most environmentally involved person, especially as I have gotten older and busier. I do appreciate my animal proteins being properly cared for. One thing I like is that Bumble Bee® offers responsibly wild caught Albacore. Not only is it yummy but it’s versatile, high in protein and absolutely perfect as the main ingredient in any meal. You can see the nutritional facts and find more recipes (tuna puttanesca, anyone?) on the Bumble Bee®website.
Now, we’re talking about a 15 minute, start to finish, super-busy-oh-my-gosh-what-am-I-going-to-cook kind of dinner right here. When you make these super easy tuna tacos the only thing you have to warm up is the tortillas. Just a little bit of whisking, a tiny bit of chopping, and you are ready to go.
I telling ya, there are big Southwestern flavors here. The tuna absorbs the flavors of the lime and cilantro in just minutes. Cumin cream is tangy and refreshing. Plus the red cabbage and onion provide crunch. The Cojita cheese adds a nice saltiness and chewy texture. A drizzle of salsa verde adds a fresh, tangy heat and the pumpkin seeds are rich and crunchy. Finally, a sprinkle of smoked paprika is the perfect way to make it pretty and give the entire dish a subtle smokiness that I love.
The corn tortillas have that earthy flavor that says “Tex-Mex!” and they are essential for holding the taco together.
Easy Tuna Tacos Recipe
So, so yummy. I could eat these every single day.
Easy Tuna Tacos
- 8 Corn tortillas
- 2 5- ounce cans Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in water
- 3 limes, divided use
- 6 ounces red cabbage
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cojita cheese
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped, divided use, fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted, shelled pumpkin seeds
- Salsa verde to taste
- Smoked paprika for garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water to thin out the mixture
- Drain the Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore and place in a bowl.
- Cut one of the limes in half and squeeze both halves over the tuna. Set the other 2 limes aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the chopped, fresh cilantro and stir gently to mix.
- Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage into thin shreds with a sharp knife.
- Separate the shreds.
- Chop the onion.
- Set the cabbage and onion aside.
- Warm the tortillas wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Place two hot tortillas on a plate, keeping the rest of the tortillas covered so they stay warm.
- Spoon a tablespoon of cream on each tortilla and spread gently to cover the bottom.
- Add some of the cabbage, then some of the onions.
- Place some of the tuna mixture on the top.
- Sprinkle with some of the Cojita cheese, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds.
- Drizzle salsa verde over all and add a few pumpkin seeds.
- Dust lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Mix the sour cream (or yogurt) and cumin.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in enough water to thin the cream out to the consistency of a creamy salad dressing.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.Let's Keep in Touch!