Key limes are tiny little limes that grow on Key West , Florida. The juice is really nothing like a lime..it is more tart somehow, but with a uniqueness that you can’t explain. Key Lime Pie is a classic. Almost everyone loves it and it is so easy to make that it is great for a last minute dessert.
You can’t often find key limes in the produce section but the juice is available. It is usually right by the lemon juice on the shelves. If not, I did check Amazon and they have several brands of key lime juice available. Do not substitute lime juice here, it just won’t work.
Key Lime Pie
- 1 baked crust or,
- 1 graham cracker crust or, my favorite,
- 1 gingersnap crumb crust
- 2 cans eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 c key lime juice
- Zest of 2 Key limes if available
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped and sweetened. Add a little vanilla if desired
1. Whisk the egg yolks and condensed milk together until smooth.
2.Add lime juice and whisk until thickened
3 Pour into desired crust and bake at 350F 10 minutes
4.Chill for about 2 hours
5. Top with whipped cream