Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Old Fashioned Molasses Crinkles
Moist and chewy, these molasses cookies are spicy and perfect with a glass of cold milk. Just like grandma used to make... only better.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 36 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger ( I use a full teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grandmas molasses (NOT black strap or barbados!)
- Turbinado or granulated sugar for sugaring tops of cookies
Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt in a bowl until combined.
Beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld.
Add egg and molasses, beating until combined.
Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture until combined.
Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
Roll 1 heaping teaspoon of dough into a 1-inch ball with wet hands, then dip 1 end of ball in sugar. Make more cookies in same manner, arranging them, sugared side up, 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until undersides are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes total, then cool on sheets 1 minute.
Transfer to racks to cool completely.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 98mg | Potassium: 86mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 0.2% | Calcium: 1.7% | Iron: 3.6%