Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chocolate Shadow Cake
A dark chocolate cake is filled with a creamy, light whipped chile chocolate filling that has enough zip to make your lips tingle. Then warm, rich ganache is smoothed over the top and allowed to drip down the sides.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 cups sugar 14 ounces
- 1 cup brown sugar 7.5 ounces
- 2 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour 10.2 ounces
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder 3.6 ounces
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 10g
- 2 teaspoons baking soda 14g
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 2.5g
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk 12 ounces
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut oil 5 ounces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 7g
- 1 1/2 cups strong 12 ounces, black coffee - boiling hot
Chile Chocolate Filling
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 4- serving packages chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup melted bittersweet chocolate 4 ounces
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground chipotle pepper about 5g?
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar 32g
Chocolate Ganache for Shadow
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 8 ounces
- 1 cup heavy cream 8 ounces
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Prepare 3 high sided 8-inch round cake pans by greasing and dusting with flour.
In a large mixer bowl whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
With mixer on low add the milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
Add the hot coffee and blend in.
The mixture will be thin - like heavy cream.
Pour evenly into the prepared pans (about 2 cups/16 oz per pan).
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, turn out and cool completely before continuing with the cake.
Chile Chocolate Whipped Filling
Add the cream, pudding mix, chocolate, chipotle, and powdered sugar to the bowl of a mixer.
Whip until light and fluffy.
Spread thickly between the cake layers and over the sides. Leave the top plain.
Heat the cream until bubbles form around the edges.
Remove from heat.
Add the chocolate chips and allow to stand for 3 minutes or so.
Stir until smooth.
Pour the ganache over the top of the cake, smoothing with a spatula and letting it run down the sides.
For best results keep refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator 10 minutes before serving