Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Stuffed Pepper Soup
All of the flavor of stuffed peppers in a hearty soup that can be made in the slow cooker or on top of the stove. Ro*Tel tomatoes add a little kick.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided use
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 chopped green Bell pepper
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Ro*Tel tomatoes with chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add the beef stock to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add the rice, turn the heat to low, and cover.
Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done.
Meanwhile, add a tablespoon of the olive oil to a large saute pan.
Heat it up then add the ground beef and garlic powder, plus a little salt to season the beef.
Cook until done.
Remove the cooked beef from the pan and add the remaining olive oil.
Heat the oil until it shimmers then add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic.
Saute until soft.
Add the ground beef, the pepper mixture, the tomatoes, Ro*Tel, tomato sauce, chicken stock, and brown sugar to a large saucepan.
Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked rice and simmer 10 minutes more.
- If you have leftovers the rice is going to make the soup thicken up a lot. It's great that way but if you don't want it thick then you can either add cooked rice to each soup bowl when serving (instead of adding it in to the pot) or you can thin it down with a little V-8 juice when you warm it up. The downside to just putting the rice in bowls is that it doesn't soak up the soup flavors.
- I really love the use of V-8 in this to thin it back down.You can use V-8 for part of the beef OR chicken broth for a more tomato-y flavor.
- The Ro*Tel makes this a little spicy, which I like. You can substitute a 14-oz can of diced tomatoes for the Ro*Tel.
- Cooking the rice in broth helps it have more flavor - omit this step if using a slow cooker.
- Buy pre-diced onions and peppers to save time.
- Substitute stewed tomatoes for the diced for a little sweeter flavor or make it smoky with fire roasted tomatoes.
- Cooking the rice in broth helps it have more flavor - omit this step if using a slow cooker - just add the rice in with the other ingredients.
- If you use brown rice it will take longer to cook.
Calories: 477kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 766mg | Potassium: 1126mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 2180IU | Vitamin C: 72.1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3.8mg