Add to Collection
Go to Collections
An easy to make comfort food. Spicy, tangy tomato sauce is full of the flavor of fresh herbs and rich chicken. Serve hot over your favorite pasta for a warming, filling dish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast , thighs, or while chicken cut up
- 4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1 coarsely chopped yellow pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can of Ro*Tel diced tomatoes
- 1 12- oz jar of Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced mushrooms , optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fennel leaves , optional
- 1/2 cup red wine - a chianti is perfect
- 1 lb whole wheat linguine or spaghetti
Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large high sided frying pan.
Add the onions, peppers, and garlic and saute until limp - about 2 minutes.
Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the chicken to the pan (and a little more oil if you need it) and brown it quickly.
Add the remaining ingredients except the fresh herbs.
Cover, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender and done. Stir it occasionally to keep it from sticking and ensure the sauce doesn't scorch.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water until a la dente (just tender - not overcooked)
Spoon sauce over cooked pasta and serve.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 382mg | Potassium: 880mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 16.9% | Vitamin C: 48.7% | Calcium: 6% | Iron: 14.3%