Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Bourbon Sweet Potatoes with Praline Topping
Creamy, rich sweet potatoes are mashed and flavored with bourbon then covered with a crunchy-sweet praline topping, and baked. It's a holiday side dish that has just the right amount of special. Move aside, marshmallows.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup heavy cream , more as needed
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter
Slice sweet potatoes in half, brush with butter, and bake at 350F until tender
OR peel, cube, and boil until tender - drain.
Add them to the bowl of your mixer.
Add the remaining ingredients, except topping, and whip until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Spoon into a greased casserole dish.
Sprinkle with the pecan topping.
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
Add the chopped pecans and brown sugar.
Cook, stirring often, until the pecans are well coated.
Spoon the topping over the potatoes.
Note: In the video I say there are eggs in this recipe. There are no eggs in this recipe. Once in awhile I forget what I am actually doing.::shakes head:::
- Use a good bourbon. It makes a huge difference in the flavor.
- If you prefer not to use bourbon you can use extra cream or ginger ale in place of it.
- I prefer to roast or bake the yams rather than peel and boil them. I think it gives them more flavor.
- Use as thick a layer of candied pecans as you wish - to your own taste.
- You can prepare this sweet potato side dish about 3 days ahead of time, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake before serving.
- This dish freezes relatively well.
Calories: 576kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 287mg | Potassium: 855mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 32861IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 2mg