Shell Pasta with Creamy Vodka Sauce
A creamy vodka sauce recipe that is easy to make and perfect over shell or other shaped pasta. A little spicy, a little rich, a lot delicious.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 2 onions , chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*tel (if you don't want it this spicy use 2 cans of tomatoes)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil , chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano , chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef , browned - optional
- 2 lbs pasta shells , cooked
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Simmer the tomatoes, Ro"Tel, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes together until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
Let cool slightly and then run the mixture through a blender until smooth.
Pour into a large saucepan.
Add the vodka and simmer the mixture over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add the cream, butter, and herbs.
Stir well and remove from heat.
Add the ground beef, if you are using it and spoon over hot pasta.
Sprinkle with cheese.