Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Mexican Street Corn Soup is a mashup between your favorite Tex-Mex street food and your favorite fall comfort food! Quick and easy - you'll love this tangy, spicy, southwestern dish!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 6 cups corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo mashed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup crema may use sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese crumbled
- Lime wedges
- Tajin as desired
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
For Slow Cooker
- 4 cups corn kernels frozen
- 2 cups creamed corn
- Remaining ingredients are the same as above
To Roast the Corn (You can omit this step)
Dry the corn and spread it out on a heavy baking sheet.
Broil for 5 minutes or so, stirring around often, to caramelize the kernels.
To Make the Soup
In a large stockpot melt the butter.
Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften.
Add the garlic - sauté for about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, chipotle, chili powder, and cumin to the stock pot.
Bring to a simmer and add the corn.
Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Remove 2 cups of the corn to a blender.
Add 2 1/2 cups of the hot broth.
Blend until smooth.
Return to the pot.
Bring back up to a simmer.
Stir together the crema, mayo, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and lime.
Add to the stockpot and stir until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Ladle into bowls and top with the Cojita cheese and remaining chopped cilantro.
Add everything except the crema, mayonnaise, cilantro, lime, and garnish to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Stir together the crema, mayo, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and lime..
Stir into the hot soup.
Cook 10 to 15 more minutes.
Garnish and serve
- If you are making this from fresh corn simmer the corn cobs in the chicken stock for about 20 minutes. This will extract even more corn flavor.
- Soup can be thinned with a little extra chicken stock if needed.
- Technically you can freeze it but the texture will be a little grainy when it's thawed.
- To make it vegan use vegetable stock, almond or coconut milk, and dairy free feta and margarine. If it seems to thin scoop some up and blend it in the blender then add it back in.
- If you want a creamier soup add 1 can of creamed corn in place of 1 cup of the corn kernels.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 570mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 605IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1.1mg