Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Gramma's Easy Potato Soup Recipe
Creamy and comforting, this potato soup recipe has been in our family for decades, if not centuries. It's thickened by blending up a cup of it or so in the blender and then adding it back to the pot. This gives it both flavor and richness without the heavy,pasty flavor of flour. Use any potatoes you like - I like to use Yukons or baby red.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 pound potatoes washed , peeled if desired.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon per serving
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping) cream or half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder , optional
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or chives
Dice the potatoes to desired size.
Bring water to a boil in a pot and add the diced potatoes.
Simmer until tender.
Meanwhile, slowly cook the onion in 1 tablespoon of the butter.
Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot.
Add the cooked onion, butter, milk, and cream.
Taste and add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to taste.
Serve in shallow bowls with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of parsley on top.
How to Cut the Fat in this Recipe
Try them all and see which one you like best.
Try one or more of the following -
- Use all whole milk instead of milk and cream
- Use half and half instead of heavy cream
- Adjust the amount of butter to your liking
- Use 2% or fat free milk, and double the potatoes. Blend about half the potatoes up in a blender with some of the hot milk. Pour it back into the pot. The blended potatoes will thicken the soup and make it creamy without the fat. You may even need to thin it out with a little more milk
- Use chicken stock for part of the liquid
- diced ham - add with the potatoes.
- crumbled cooked bacon - sprinkle on top
- chipotle - stir in chipotle powder or mashed chipotle just before serving.
- celery - saute and add to the soup with the potatoes.
- onion - saute and add to the soup with the potatoes
- cheese -either stir it in to the soup just before serving or serve the soup with cheese on top.
- sour cream - stir into the potato soup just before serving or put a dollop on top of the soup when serving.
- cream cheese - warm it in the microwave until it's soft and then stir into the soup.
- cooked ground beef - add with the potatoes
- cumin - mix into the broth
- clams - add with the potatoes
- jalapenos - saute and add with the potatoes
- garlic - saute and add with the potatoes
- cooked chicken - add with the potatoes
- leftover cooked vegetables - stir in just before serving
- chives - sprinkle on the soup just before serving
- butter - I like to serve it with a pat of butter melting on top
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2.6mg