Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Marble Cupcakes Recipe
Moist, tender cupcakes marbled with dark chocolate and almond then covered with chocolate frosting (or the frosting you like best), swirled with marshmallow topping, and topped with a bright red cherry. They're irresistible.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon milk , divided use
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened extra dark cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened extra dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Marshmallow ice cream topping
- 12 Maraschino cherries
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Put cupcake liners in 12 cupcake pans and set aside.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Melt the butter but do not brown.
Add the sugar to the bowl of a mixer.
Pour in the butter and mix on high until well blended.
Add the egg, buttermilk, 3/4 cup of milk, and vanilla.
Mix on slow speed until well blended -- do not over mix.
Transfer 3/4 cup of the batter to a bowl.
Mix the cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of milk in to the 3/4 cup of batter until well combined.
Add the almond extract to the remaining white batter.
Spoon some of the chocolate batter into each liner.
Spoon some of the almond batter on top.
Repeat until the batter is gone.
Using a butter knife (I like to use a chopstick) swirl the batter lightly.
Bake for 20 minutes or until top springs back lightly when touched.
Add the confectioner's and the cocoa to a bowl.
Cut the butter into squares and add it to the confectioner's mixture with the mixer running on low.
Blend until the mixture is crumbly.
Add the cream and vanilla and beat on high until fluffy. Add more cream if necessary.