Add to Collection
Go to Collections
An old fashioned, homemade gingerbread recipe that will make your house smell like fall. This is a dark, spicy cake that is wonderful plain or topped with ice cream, whipped cream, or your favorite sauce.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground chipotle (more if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Grandma's Molasses or other unsulphured type
- 1/2 cup Coffee extra strong, hot, and black
Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and set aside.
Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, chipotle, and salt.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and beat well.
Beat in the molasses.
Add the dry ingredients alternately with the hot coffee, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
Smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes or until done.
- Try different types of cinnamon and see what you like best. I like Vietnamese cinnamon and roast cinnamon the best.
- Use fresh spices. If you've had yours in the pantry for more than 6 months throw them out.
- Grated orange zest is delicious in this. A tablespoon is about right.
You can add finely chopped candied ginger if you like.
- Make SURE the molasses is unsulphured or you will be sorry the first time you take a bite.
- Be sure not to over-bake it because it does dry it out.
- Check at 35 minutes then check it every 2 or 3 minutes after that.
- This only needs a little powdered sugar dusted over the top but I wouldn't turn down a spoonful of whipped cream, either.
- Store, tightly covered, at room temperature for about 2 days.
- This gingerbread recipe freezes very well for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap then aluminum foil.
- Dust with powdered sugar, a scoop of ice cream, or dollop of whipped cream before serving - if you really want to. I like it plain.
Calories: 283.11kcal | Carbohydrates: 49.57g | Protein: 3.28g | Fat: 8.33g | Saturated Fat: 5.03g | Cholesterol: 33.98mg | Sodium: 318.06mg | Potassium: 452.2mg | Fiber: 0.83g | Sugar: 29.4g | Vitamin A: 262.34IU | Calcium: 67.05mg | Iron: 2.65mg