Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Homemade Gingerbread Recipe
An old fashioned, homemade gingerbread recipe that will make your house smell like fall. This is a dark, spicy recipe that is wonderful plain or topped with ice cream, whipped cream, or your favorite sauce.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon roasted cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle (more if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Grandma's Molasses or other unsulphured type
- 1/2 cup strong , hot, black coffee
Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and set aside.
Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, chipotle, and salt.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and beat well.
Beat in the molasses.
Add the dry ingredients alternately with the hot coffee, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
Smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes or until done.