Thumbrpint cookies describe a huge variety of flavors, fillings, and textures but they all have one thing in common. Everyone loves them.
I made these for Valentine’s Day and they were a big hit – but you could make them anytime with plain hershey’s Kisses, Dove chocolate squares, or whatever you like.
The cookie dough is easy to make and flavored with finely chopped white chocolate. Once you have the dough made you just make walnut sized balls and roll them in chopped pecans.
Easy. Really easy.
Several people have asked about creaming the butter and sugar together. It is hard to explain but it should look something like this:
The cookies come out tender and slighly crumbly with big white chocolate flavor and pecans for texture. The middle chunk of melty, gooey chocolate just adds an extra touch of wow-factor.
If you are using heart shaped chocolates you will want to press one of the chocolates into one of the cookie dough balls before baking and then remove it. This will help you to know how big of a “thumbrint” you will need to make.
Once they come out of the oven let them cool and then drizzle with a thin white chocolate ganache.
They are pretty enough for special parties but good enough for the cookie jar.
White Chocolate Thumbprint CookiesPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1/2 Cup Butter, , Softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup White Chocolate Chips, , chopped fine
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped pecans
- 24 heart shaped milk chocolate candies, , unwrapped
- 1-3 tablespoons buttermilk, (as needed for right texture)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add the egg, one tablespoon of buttermilk and vanilla
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until well blended
- If the dough seems too dry add buttermilk one tablespoon full at a time
- Stir in the white chocolate
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Press the middle down with your thumb
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are firm and bottoms are golden
- Remove from oven and cool a few minutes
- Press the chocolates into the center of each cookie while the cookie is still warm
- Let cool
- Bring the heavy cream and butter to a simmer and remove from heat
- Stir in the white chocolate until it is melted and smooth
- Drizzle the white chocolate across the cookies