White chocolate mousse is a rich, unique dessert that is so versatile that you absolutely need to have this recipe. You can use it as pie filling, parfaits, cake filling, eclair filling, or just licking from you fingers. Really, it’s that good.
Light, fluffy, and …well…moussey, this recipe is great because it is stable. It won’t deflate on you or smoosh out of the cake layers. And (if you have seen Despicable Me) it’s SO FLUFFY.
I used this as the filling for a triple layer chocolate cake. I was not impressed with the cake itself. Use any great chocolate cake recipe like:
If you are using it as a cake filling you will want to take the time chill the cake over night before frosting and cutting. This will give you the best appearance and texture.
The mousse is stable because I added cream cheese and whipped it. It gave it a little cheesecake-y tang but not enough to detract from the mousse. It helps it stay stable longer and hold more weight when used as a cake filling but it is still light enough to be a perfectly elegant mousse.
White Chocolate Mousse RecipePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring, , vanilla, or 1 tablespoon of amaretto
- Beat the cream until it holds soft peaks.
- Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolk until thick and fluffy.
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- With the mixer running on high speed pour the hot sugar syrup down the side of the mixer bowl in a slow stream.
- Continue whipping until the eggs have cooled and are doubled in volume. (Feel the bottom of the bowl to check.} It will take about five minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the white chocolate until smooth. Fold into the egg mixture.
- Beat the cream cheese with 1/4 cup heavy cream until it is fluffy.
- Add the flavoring.
- Beat into the egg mixture.
- Fold 1/3 of the whipped cream into the egg and chocolate mixture.
- Carefully fold the remaining whipped cream in in two parts.