First of all let me just say that this triple chocolate bundt cake with a jammy merlot and the bright citrus of the cardamom is easy and amazing. It stays moist so you can make it ahead of time and it’s sure to make any chocolate lover in your life swoon.
The chocolate covered strawberries are not a necessity but they are a nice garnish. Frosted black grapes, blackberries, or similar berry would be nice, too. Or, use orange segments to pick up the citrus flavor in the cardamom. Really, you can use whatever is in season and available to you. Let’s face it — chocolate goes with everything!
I come from a long line of chocolate freaks. My dad loved chocolate and he raised me right.
I love chocolate in nearly any form. I do admit a preference to milk chocolate but when push comes to shove I am not fussy at all! I was always that person who had to poke a hole in the bottom of the chocolates in a box to see what was in there before I took a bite. There isn’t much I don’t like but I don’t like surprises. What if someone decided to make a squid ink chocolate?
See? Knowing is important.
This cake is amazingly moist and flavorful. The Merlot brings that jammy, indescribable fruity flavor to the triple chocolate bundt cake and really adds a fuller flavor to the chcolate. To me it smells and tastes very much like a jelly filled Godiva chocolate. No squid ink, I promise.
The triple chocolate comes from dark cocoa, chocolate chips, and a merlot ganache glaze. I suggest you use bittersweet chocolate chips but semi sweet would work too. The cake is easy to put together but does take a little time because the butter is browned before using and the merlot and cream used in the ganache is reduced to intensify the flavor. Baking time is about an hour and prep time is about half that. If you can stand to let it sit overnight the flavor will develop even more but … good luck with that. Cakes don’t last very long in my house.
You won’t need a mixer to mix this…. just a big bowl and a large spoon. The better for licking later….It really is one of the easiest cake’s you’ll ever make!
Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
If you love chocolate this is the chocolate cake for you! Easy, moist, and absolutely delicious! If you like this recipe please consider giving it a 5 star rating.
Triple Chocolate Merlot Ganache GlazePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ¾ cup dark cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup merlot
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
Chocolate Merlot Drizzle
- 3/4 cup merlot
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, , cut in pieces
- Splash of good balsamic vinegar, (about 1 tbs)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a large bundt pan and dust it with cocoa.
- Melt the butter and let it turn a golden brown, watching carefully.
- Whisk the cocoa into into the butter mixture until smooth.
- Blend the flour, baking soda, salt, and cardamom in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Add the sugar to a mixer bowl.
- Add the browned butter and cocoa mixture and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Continue to beat on medium speed for about a minute.
- With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture alternately with the merlot, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Beat on low speed until well blended.
- Fold in the sour cream and chocolate chips until no what streaks remain.
- Spoon into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 325F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and carefully loosen the sides and turn out of the pan.
Chocolate Merlot Drizzle
- Mix the merlot and cream in a heavy saucepan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the butter a little at a time, whisking. This will give the chocolate richness and a nice shine.
- Add the balsamic and whisk in carefully.
- Let cool until thick but still pourable.
- Drizzle over cake.
- You can dip the strawberries in the chocolate, cut them in half and arrange them on the cake.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you liked Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake you may also like…
left to right: Bourbon Pecan Cake, Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake, Whiskey Sour Bundt Cake
Red Velvet Bundt Cake Bird on a Cake
Heirloom Sweet Potato Rum Bundt Cake Restless Chipotle