Use your favorite pizza dough recipe for the dough.
- ¼ cup olive oil, mixed use..you may not need this much
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 8 Ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 Large tomatoes, sliced, or 2 c marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb fresh, cleaned, spinach
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 lb thinly sliced proscuitto, or ham, or cooked Italian sausage if desired
- 1 lb red peppers
- 1/2 lb sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzerella, sliced
- Cut eggplant lengthwise in ¼ inch slices.
- Soak in salt water for 20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Pat the slices dry with paper towel.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, brush eggplants slices with olive oil and bake in a 425F preheated oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- Set aside to cool.
- Saute the onion, peppers and garlic in 3 tbs olive oil until tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium add mushrooms, basil, oregano, and salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions and mushrooms are limp .
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough to a 16inch circle, approximately ½ inch thick.
- Place the dough in to a 9 x 3 spring form pan allowing a 1 inch overhang all around the pan.
- Layer each ingredient in the pan as desired, or dump them all in at once.
- Roll the remaining dough into a circle to fit the top of the Torta Rustica.
- Lay it over the top and fold up the overhanging dough, crimping them together to seal the edges.
- Make 4 small slits in the top to let steam escape and brush with the beaten egg.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool to room temp before cutting and serving,
Let's Keep in Touch!