- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 1/2 c hot water
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1/4 c lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 c rye flour
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp star anise crushed
- 2 tbs grated orange rind
- 3 cups, more or less, white flour
- Combine brown sugar, molasses, oil, salt, and hot water; cool to lukewarm
- Sprinkle the yeast over the 1/4 c water to soften.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar mixture to the yeast mixture, along with the rye flour, orange rind, and spices.
- Mix until smooth. Add white flour, a little at a time until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for ten minutes.
- Rub with oil and place in an oiled bowl.
- Cover and set in a warm place for 1 1/2 -2 hours, or until it doubles.
- Divide dough in half.
- Form into balls. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each ball into a round loaf, place on baking sheets, and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Cut three slashes in the top of each loaf and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Allow to cool.