Spinach and berry summer salad is just right for those days when it is way too hot to even plug in a slow cooker. Fresh, tender baby spinach leaves are topped with sweet blueberries, tangy strawberries, crunchy pecans, and spicy red onion. If that wasn’t enough there is a mango dressing with a chipotle kick that is just a tropical vacation in a Mason jar.
This is great for a light lunch or dinner. Do the whole tea room thing and serve it with a muffin! If you want to make it a little more substantial add some sliced, grilled chicken breast. Can you imagine sitting out on the patio, an icy sangria in one hand and this salad in front of you?
It screams, it’s summer y’all!
I first had this salad at a local tea room. A friend and I had stopped in for lunch and I just could not face anything heavy. I mean, it was summer in Texas — you could hear the back of your thighs sizzle when you sat down in the car. I am totally not exaggerating. We had been antiquing and ducked in to the tea room for some chilly air conditioning and a little lunch. Both of us saw this at the same time and there was no way we’d be eating anything else.
You can replace the blueberries with raspberries, strawberries, or whatever you want. Just don’t try to make it in the winter when all of this yumminess is out of season, ok? That would be a travesty — you need that fresh flavor.
You can make the dressing ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. Like most dressings, it is even better the next day.
Spinach and Berry Summer Salad
- 1 (1 lb) bag baby spinach or baby herb salad
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries, , quartered
- 1 cup toasted pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup dried cranberries, (optional)
- 1/4 cup bleu cheese
- 1 mango, , peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder.
- Arrange the spinach on individual plates.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and spoon on top.
- Drizzle with the mango dressing.
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar.
- Blend on high until smooth.
If you like Spinach and Berry Salad you might also like
Chick Pea Salad with Honey Lime Dressing How Sweet Eats
Chopped Thai Salad Pinch of Yum