Summer entertaining should be fun, simple, and relaxing but too often we turn it into a new have-to. A simple idea of drinks with friends turns into appetizers, fancy cocktails, and hours of cooking and cleaning. Then we don’t understand why we spend far too many summer nights plunked in front of the television. Have I got some great, EASY ideas for you!
This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.com on behalf of Single Edition Media – all opinions are my own.
I can’t believe that we’re in the last, golden days of summer. Oh, I know that it doesn’t really end for almost two months but around here summer ends when school starts on August 16. Long, lazy nights watching the stars come out will be traded for long nights of homework. Still, between now and then there’s time. In between the orientations and the last minute school shopping there’s time to gather with family and friends for a little more laughter and a few more drinks.
Keep It Fun
There’s no law that you have to serve a fancy dessert when you’re getting together with friends. Get a bowl or a bucket, fill with ice and arrange frozen, healthy snacks in it. Froozer is just right! Made with frozen whole fruit it’s all natural, non-gmo, dairy-free, AND just 35-40 calories per serving. Best of all?
They’re SO yummy!
The kids loved them. It’s been way too hot to play outside much so they’ve been playing Monopoly in the front parlor. I added a big bowl of Froozer in different flavors. It disappeared fast.
Keep Summer Entertaining Simple
Keep your summer entertaining menu simple and use the fresh ingredients that are everywhere this time of year.
One of the items in the box was Oprah Winfrey’s new, personal cookbook Food, Health, and Happiness. There’s dish after dish of creative but simple recipes made with fresh ingredients created alongside her favorite chefs. They go together fast and all have Weight Watcher’s points to keep it easy to track. Plus personal comments and essays make you feel like you’re right there with her, chatting over a cup of herbal tea.
Gorgeous images throughout – you’re going to want to add this cookbook to your collection. Buy it here – Food, Health, and Happiness
Keep Your Party Outside
When it’s hot doing a lot of cooking in the kitchen isn’t a great idea. In Texas sometimes using the grill isn’t much fun either – standing over a fire when it’s 110F is hot no matter what you do. Keep the grill in a shaded spot if possible. Be sure to stay hydrated — and water is better than beer. Lot’s and lots of ice water while you’re cooking!
Make the grilling easier with a great set of tools like this sleek, stainless steel set exclusively from True Value. It includes a silicone basting brush, tongs, and a 4 in 1 spatula.I love the spatula which flips, tenderizes meat, opens bottles, and has a knife edge.
Suddenly feeling the urge for a new set of grilling tools? You’ll find this set exclusively at True Value.
Keep Clean Up Easy
Nothing worse than the after-party clean up with food stuck to the grill! The new non-aerosol Pam sprays help control how much you use so you can get that great non-stick surface while you’re reducing fat and calories. The flavors of your foods really come through because the new pump spray PAM has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Find out more about new Pam Cooking Spray.
Keep It Practical
- Take a lesson from a couple of Italian restaurant chains and buy a roll of paper to use for a table cover. It’s inexpensive and clean up is easy – just throw away. Added bonus? It can keep the kids busy creating a unique work of art.
- Hold table covers (paper or otherwise) down with a great kids’ project. Collect some rocks and clean them up. Have the kids use acrylic paints to make ladybugs, butterflies, or other designs. A couple of these on the corners of the table will keep the table cover down in most situations – unless you’re in the middle of a tornado.
- To keep cold dishes cold fill a large bowl with ice then sprinkle with kosher or ice cream salt. Set the dish down into the ice. This trick in a washtub will keep drinks and frozen treats extra frosty, too.
- Citronella candles are a great way to keep the mosquitos from invading.
- Dealing with sweltering temperatures? Schedule a sunset party and use the rich summer sunset colors as a theme.
- Keep a bucket of sunscreen and bug spray where guests can use it freely.
- Use (clean) sand pails to hold chips and snacks.
What are your best ideas for keeping summer entertaining simple and cool?
If you liked these great summer entertaining ideas you might also like…
Candied Jalapenos, Slow Cooker Pozole Verde, Jalapeno Sausage Kolaches
Thanks to BabbleBoxx.com on behalf of Single Edition Media for partnering with RestlessChipotle to bring you this post. All opinions are my own.