Stacked Enchiladas Verdes are an awesome dish for almost anything. I mean, when the preacher comes over? Serve Stacked Enchildas Verdes. Mother in Law? Stacked Enchiladas Verdes…. The sheriff come to haul you off to jail? Serve Stacked Enchiladas Verdes to him…it probably won’t help but at least he will be in a good mood on the trip to the pokey, right?
Layers of creamy, spicy chicken mixture are interspersed with cheese and corn tortillas in a 13×9 inch casserole dish. You can put it together a couple of days ahead and bake it at the last minute… or you can make it ahead and freeze for Once a Month Cooking.
Here is the secret to this dish… you have to at least try to make the homemade salsa verde at least once. It doesn’t take long, it can be made ahead and it makes a huge difference in the bright, fresh flavor of this dish.
Please? For me?
- 3 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed, charred, and chopped
- 2 large jalapeño chiles, stems removed, charred and chopped
- 5 small garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh cilantro trimmed and chopped
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
Mix together and allow to stand for 20 minutes. You can store it for a couple of weeks in the fridge, tightly covered.
Stacked Enchiladas Verde
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 cups salsa verde , divided
- 2 cups shredded chicken, divided
- 1/2 cup Saucy Mama Lime chipotle marinade
- 3/4 cup sour cream, stirred to loosen, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups smoked gouda, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease 13×9 inch pan. Put a layer of salsa verde down, then cover the bottom with corn tortillas.
- Chop poblanos.
- Mix Saucy Mama sauce with chicken.
- Mix chicken and cheese, reserving 1 cup of cheese. Stir in the poblano.
- Spread half the chicken over the tortillas. Cover with half the sour cream and half the salsa verde.
- Cover with corn tortillas.
- Spread the remaining chicken, sour cream and salsa verde over top.
- Cover with more corn tortillas. Cover with the reserved cheese.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.