There’s so much to tell you today!
The recipe is for a really easy slow cooker macaroni and cheese that has a little kick to it. It is so quick to throw together that you can get it started while you are waiting for the coffee to finish brewing — in the Keurig!
Seriously. I can think of one person that I know that doesn’t like macaroni and cheese. It’s extreme comfort food whether you have a cold blustery day or a cold blustery attitude. When it’s made in a slow cooker it’s almost totally hands off — tailgating parties, Saturday in front of the TV, or Thursday night soccer practice become easy as… mac and cheese. This is smooth and creamy which keeps it from being too spicy. The tomatoes add tang. The thing is that it’s not a pretty food — and that’s why I added the grated cheese and bacon at thee end. Not only does it add a nice flavor but the dish looks much more appetizing.
When the mac and cheese is finished it may look a little curdled but when you stir in the tomatoes it all stirs out into a smooth sauce. I promise.
Disclaimer – Red Gold sent me products to try, and reimbursed me for ingredients used in the Good Morning Texas segment. My opinions are my own and my ethics are not for sale.
I love Red Gold Tomatoes. You’ll notice that I don’t work with many companies and that’s because I am very particular about who I endorse. I may try an item for review but if their philosophy doesn’t seem to line up with mine they are generally a one trick pony. Red Gold is one of the products I feel good about using. The flavor is really fresh. REALLY fresh.
And that brings me to Good Morning Texas, a morning show here in Dallas. My husband and I were out to lunch on Friday when I got an email asking me if I could do a cooking segment on Monday. I said yes very quickly and then realized that not only did I have nothing to wear but I also had 1/4 inch of gray roots and my hair dresser had the weekend off. I channeled my inner Auntie Mame and did it anyway.
They’ve taken the video down but it was an experience I will remember forever.
It was so much fun! Do give this recipe a try…
Slow Cooker Spicy Mac-n- Cheese, Red Gold Tomatoes, and Good Morning Texas
- 2 cups pasta - your choice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces processed cheese, (like Velveeta)
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
- 1/4 cup diced Hatch chiles, , optional if you like it really spicy
- 4 to 6 ounces cooked, , crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Spray the slow cooker crock with cooking spray.
- Put the uncooked pasta in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the milk, cream, evaporated milk, cream cheese, processed cheese,butter, and Hatch chiles if you are using them.
- Don't bother to stir.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Top with the bacon, shredded cheddar, and a sprinkle of the paprika.
If you like Slow Cooker Spicy Mac-n- Cheese, you might also like…
Old Fashioned Stuffed Peppers in a Slow Cooker Restless Chipotle
Pizza Casserole Restless Chipotle
Ranch Bacon Mac and Cheese Cups Weary Chef
Creamy Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Miss Information