It may sound weird but my family gave this root beer pot roast at least a hundred and fifteen stars. Maybe more. There is something about the soda that makes the meat buttery and tender, absolutely melt in your mouth good. The root beer adds a subtle sweetness and a nice spicy touch.
Since it is cooked in a slow cooker the actual work time for this is less than 10 minutes. The carrots added to the cooking liqueur give it an added sweetness and onion adds a little depth. It is very similar to a Sauerbraten in many ways. Serve it with some homemade rolls and mashed potatoes and your Sunday family dinner is Mayberry RFD perfect.
The kind of root beer that you use will make such a difference in this. I suggest that you try an artisan micro-brewed root beer for the very best results…but A & W would be my next choice. Remember that the complexity of flavors in the root beer will create the complexity of flavors in the finished dish so a fake, chemically root beer will never be as good as a good one. End of sermon.
Root Beer Pot Roast, SeriouslyPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Black Angus organic pot roast, , 5 lbs
- 36 ozs of root beer, , room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 organic carrots, , peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-2 onions, , optional
- Season roast on all sides and set aside for 15 minutes while you prepare the carrots.
- Heat a frying pan and add just a touch of olive oil.
- Brown roast on all sides, just until you get that nice caramelization crispiness to the meat.
- Pour 1/3 of the room temperature root beer into the slow cooker.
- Add the meat carefully.
- Add the carrots and onions if you are using them
- Pour the rest of the root beer over the roast and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
images:c) restless chipotle 2009, all rights reserved.