This pumpkin fettuccine is a great addition to nearly any meal. It is simple and easy to prepare, goes together quickly, and yet is elegant and unusual enough to get you some impressed looks from the in-laws or the boss. That’s always a good thing, right?
The pasta dough is made with roasted pumpkin and chipotle in adobo. You want to mash the chipotle up very well and stir it into the puree before adding it to the pumpkin. If you don’t someone is going to get a chunk of chipotle and if your luck is anything like mine..well it is going to be the person whose opinion matters most.
The creamy sauce tempers the slight spice of the pasta and brings a new dimension to the dish. Chewy pasta, creamy sauce, crunchy walnuts, earthy mushrooms, and pungent sage come together to create an edible opera. Add a few sprinkles of fontina for a sharp bite to finish it off.
I served the pasta as a side dish for a balsamic date pork loin. I will be sharing that recipe next week. You could easily make this pasta a main course by adding cooked chicken breast or scallops.
- 3 c flour (you may need a bit more)
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin
- 1 – 2 tbs chipotle in adobo, pureed
- Water as needed to make a pliable dough
Mix the ingredients together to make a dough. Knead, adding a little water if needed to get a pliable dough, it should feel a bit like well worked play-do. Allow to rest for fifteen minutes.
Make fettuccine by hand, or with a machine according to directions. If making by hand roll the dough very thin and cut into strips.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 2 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and add a little olive oil to keep from sticking together.
Walnut Sage Cream
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbs fresh sage, chopped
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan; add the walnuts and toast, stirring for about three minutes. Remove nuts from pan.
- Add shallots and garlic. Saute until shallots soften.
- Add mushrooms and saute until tender
- Add sage, wine or broth and cream. Simmer until sauce is reduced by 1/3 or so.
- Whisk in butter a little at a time and remove sauce from heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add walnuts and pour over pasta.
- Sprinkle with grated fontina cheese
Serves 6-8 as a side dish.