Everyone needs a couple of recipes in their collection that are versatile, kid-friendly, freeze well, and taste amazing. This is one of mine.
My kids, for some ungodly reason (and I am claiming it has nothing to do with my genetic pool) love pizza rolls. You know, those cheap, frozen pizza pillows stuffed with God only knows what. Yeah. Those. I do not buy them unless it is a birthday (birthday rule #1 -you can eat what ever you want) but they are now old enough to buy them with their own money and sneak them in stealthily.
These are my healthy, easy, delicious version. If you really hate making biscuits you can use the canned refrigerated kind. I use this biscuit recipe and leave out the cheddar cheese.
Once you have your biscuits made you just need to press them in lightly greased muffin tins until the dough comes all the way up the sides. Fill with the filling and pop in the oven.
When they are done you can flash freeze them on a cookie sheet. When frozen solid put them in a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 6 months. For a fast, easy lunch just take out of the freezer and microwave a couple of minutes until hot all the way through. Does it get easier than that?
I don’t think so.
Oh and on a side note – the biscuit dough works better for these than a yeast dough because it doesn’t form a hard crust.
Pizza Cups – Really Fast…Really Good… Really Freeze WellPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 recipe biscuit dough, (to make 12 biscuits)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 pound browned and seasoned ground beef or Italian sausage
- 4 ounces pepperoni, , chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta Sauce, (I like Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce for this recipe)
- Onions, , green peppers, olives, whatever else you like
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Add biscuits to each muffin cup and push and flatten to make a shell.
- Add ground meat to the shell.
- Add about 2 tp 3 tablepoons of sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped pepperoni and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese (more or less).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until shell is done and cheese is bubbley.