When I saw Marye was looking for guest posts to fill in here at Restless Chipotle while her son was home, I jumped at the chance to stop in and share one of my favorite cupcake recipes.
I normally write kid friendly recipes for my children’s blog, but sometimes it’s fun to make something a little more grown up. That’s where the Pina Colada Cupcakes come in.
I love this recipe because it tastes like the cupcakes you would get at one of those gourmet cupcake shops. Why pay a fortune for gourmet cupcakes from a bakery, when you can make your own?
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup coconut rum (or other rum)
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1~ 8 oz can crushed pineapple (or about 1 cup fresh crushed pineapple in its juice)
1. Preheat the oven to 350`F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the rum, coconut cream, pineapple with its juice, and vanilla.
3. In another small mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, beating as you go.
5. While you’re mixing slowly add the rum mixture to the butter and sugar mixture.
6. Then add the flour mixture slowly until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
7. Fill cupcake wrappers 3/4 full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are starting to turn lightly golden brown.
8. Let the cupcakes cool then ice them with the Coconut Cream Frosting below.
This recipe makes about 2 dozen cupcakes.
Coconut Cream Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbs coconut cream
- handful of shredded coconut (optional for garnish)
- 24 small pineapple slices (optional for garnish)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and coconut cream with a mixer.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until it is completely incorporated.
3. Ice the cupcakes with a knife or your favorite decorator tip and a pastry bag.
4. Sprinkle on a little shredded coconut, and top with a small pineapple slice.
Prep time 15 to 20 minutes
Cook time 18 to 20 minutes
About the author: Linette Gerlach loves to blog about cupcake and cake decorating for kids regularly at The Kid’s Fun Review.
Linette has been a colleague and friend of mine since the b5 days of Baking Delights. She is a fabulous cook and photographer. I was so blessed that she offered to help me this month on Restless Chipotle! The funny thing is, Pina Coladas are like my favorite drink ever… EVER. You can bet I will be trying these soon!Let's Keep in Touch!