Actually, we call peach crisp a cobbler around here just because we can.
Technically a cobbler has a biscuit or pastry crust and a crisp has a streusel crust. The streusel all kind of melts together and becomes a crispy topping for whatever ripe fruit you put under it.
Peaches are my favorite. There is just something about the way a ripe peach interacts with the brown sugar and butter in the streusel that is decadent. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and………….
In this case I didn’t have enough peaches and so a grabbed a couple of ripe mangoes that I had on the counter. The flavors are similar and I think the super sweet mango actually kind of enhances the peaches. You can make it with part mango, all mango, or all peaches – it will still be amazing.
Peach and Mango Crisp
- 8 fresh peaches - peeled , pitted and
- 4 mangoes - peeled , pitted, and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dark rum (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Butter the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Mix the sliced peaches and mangoes together in a large bowl
- Add the rum and 1/2 cup of white sugar (adjust according to the sweetness of the peaches and mango)
- Mix the remaining sugar, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal together
- Cut in the butter with your fingers until the mixture becomes crumbly
- Mix in pecans
- Sprinkle the topping over the peaches and mangoes
- Bake for 45 minute, or until peaches are bubbling and topping is crisp
- May use all peaches or all mangoes Substitute apples for mango and peaches