Mexican Spaghetti Skillet is a throw together dish with big Southwestern flavor that you can have on the table in minutes. Gooey cheese, seasoned ground beef, Ro*Tel, and spaghetti create this homespun family favorite. It’s not pretty but it makes up for that in flavor and simplicity.
I am so glad it’s fall. In Texas autumn comes later than in most other parts of the country. Our trees won’t be at their vibrant best until toward the end of this month or the beginning of next. Still, it’s started to cool down a little and the light has that golden hue to it that just makes everything look beautiful. It’s relaxing to sit on the porch in my rocker and sip coffee while I work. That porch IS why I bought the house after all.
The down side of it is that the kids are back in school. I am still not “over” homeschooling and the house is so quiet when they go back. Besides, life gets busy! Sports practices, homework, my stuff, the husband’s stuff… it all adds up to suck away our time. I don’t know if you ever do this at all but there are way too many nights that I am staring at the kitchen stove at 6 PM willing some sort of great dinner to appear on top of it.
Somehow it never does.
You’d think that a food blogger’s kids would eat 5 star meals every night but they don’t. In fact most of the food bloggers I’ve talked to have a hefty helping of mom-or-dad-guilt because while we are photographing that gorgeous cake the kids are eating Spaghetti-Os.
So, there I was staring into the refrigerator when I saw a batch of cooked spaghetti leftover from when my daughter had made herself some Alfredo. There was some ground beef that needed to be cooked. My tastebuds began demanding Mexican food and I was about to request a family night at a local Tex-Mex spot (Hell0000 watermelon margarita) when I had the great idea of just tossing it all together for a Mexican Spaghetti Skillet.
There are a couple of things I pretty much always have on hand. Ro*Tel, a variety of pasta, ground beef, and several kinds of cheeses can almost always be found in our kitchen. I grow basil, oregano, cilantro, and a few other herbs on my kitchen porch and tomatoes in my garden. Other than coffee and chocolate I don’t really need anything else.
Keep the ingredients for this Mexican Spaghetti Skillet on hand for when you have one of those days — and let me know what you think.
Mexican Spagetti Skillet
- 1 Pound of spaghetti , broken, cooked, and drained
- 1 pound of ground beef , seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 2 14- ounce cans Ro*Tel tomatoes and chiles
- 1/2 cup salsa (plus more for the topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese
- Cook the ground beef and onion until the onion is soft and translucent and the beef is cooked through.
- Drain any fat from the ground beef in the pan.
- Add the cream cheese and half and half.
- Stir over low heat until the cream cheese melts into the cream and is smooth.
- Add the Ro*Tel and smoked paprika and blend.
- Now add the pasta and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Warm through.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese before serving.
If you liked Mexican Spaghetti Skillet Dinner, you may also like…
Mexican Stuffed Shells Like Mother Like Daughter
One Pot Taco Pasta Damn Delicious