The first time I ever put blueberry and lemon together was a light lemon-blueberry mousse I made when I was first married. For some reason I never repeated the recipe, I suspect I forgot how I had done it. But..from that point on I was a fan of blueberry and lemon combinations.
When I discovered Numi Mate-Lemon Myrtle tea I was an instant fan. It has a sweet lemon flavor that is lemony but not pure lemon. There is a complexity from the lemon myrtle and mate combination that is awesome.
So, it really was only a matter of time until I created a blueberry muffin with it, wasn’t it? I mean it was just waiting for me.
These were so good. The tea added a nice underlying flavor, and the lemon was subtle rather than tangy. The crumb is moist and tender thanks to a bit of sour cream, but if you don’t do dairy you can leave that out.
The glaze is basic butter, confectioners, and tea with a squeeze of lemon. It added a nice finish to both the look and the flavor of the muffins.
If you are using frozen blueberries you can just add them straight from the freezer. You don’t want to thaw first because they will be so juicy that it will throw your liquid measurement off and your muffins will be soggy.
Mate-Lemon Myrtle Muffins with Blueberries
- 2 packets of Numi Mate Lemon tea
- 3/4 cup simmering water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Zest from one lemon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tbs sour cream
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Steep both tea bags in the water for 3 minutes. Remove teabags and allow tea to cool.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Whisk remaining ingredients except blueberries together in another bowl.
- Fold in the wet mixture to the dry
- Stir in blueberries
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes, or until tops are golden and muffins test done.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup confectioners
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Numi Mate Lemon tea
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mix together until smooth
- Spread over hot muffins