This Lemon Cream Jelly Roll is tangy and creamy — just right for a Spring tea or Mother’s Day. It’s much easier than you’d think!
Lemon Cream Jelly Roll
A light, tangy rolled sponge cake with a lemon curd and whipped cream filling. It's much easier than you think.
- 5 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour , sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Key Lime or Lemon Curd Filling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup key lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lime or lemon zest
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat until thick and lemon colored. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and citrus zest.
- Fold in the dry ingredients carefully.
- Spray a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray, line with wax paper or parchment, and spray again.
- Spoon the batter carefully into the pan, smoothing it out into corners and being careful not to deflate it.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake!
- While the cake is baking lay a large towel on the counter or table.
- Sprinkle the towel with Confectioners sugar.
- Tip the finished cake onto the towel, and working quickly, trim 1/8 inch off the edges of the cake. Roll up in the towel and set aside to cool.
Key Lime or Lemon Filling
- In a microwave safe bowl whisk egg yolks, sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
- Microwave for one minute, then stop and stir.
- Continue microwaving and stirring in one minute intervals until the mixture is thick and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the microwave and add butter, a little at a time, whisking smooth after each addition.
- Let cool completely.