These lemon blueberry muffins remind me of the first day of summer when I was a kid. On the first day of summer vacation I would wake up to bright sunlight streaming through the window. It always seemed that I had eternity stretching out before me — an entire summer of catching fireflies, picnics, and endless wandering in the woods near my house. These mufffins taste just like that.
The lemon is subtle so if you want a really puckery pop of lemon I’d double the lemon zest called for in the recipe. I love lemon flavor but when it is too strong my taste buds can’t handle it. I have very sensitive sense of taste so I keep it light. If you love that tang then by all means add more zest.
I like muffins for breakfast. They seem so homey and full of love — just the way I want to start the day with my family. Lemon blueberry muffins might not be the answer to all the world’s problems but they do send a strong message of love to your family and yourself. Maybe if people ate more muffins for breakfast the world would be a happier, more nurturing place.
These freeze well for up to three months. If you make a couple of batches you can have muffins for breakfast anytime. Be careful not to over-bake them because that’s what gives them a coarse texture. Also, if you gently toss the blueberries in a little flour it’s less likely that the berries will sink to the bottom.
The crumble adds a delicious crispy-sweet crunch to every tangy bite. You can put butter or cream cheese on it, or even a little lemon curd but you won’t need it. Pinkie swear.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Crumble
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Put paper liners in muffin cups or use the silicon liners that are available.
- Combine flour, sugars, baking powder, salt in a bowl.
- Stir in milk, lemon juice, egg, butter,lemon peel, and vanilla.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Combine the dry topping ingredients in a bowl.
- With cold fingers rub butter into dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and looks like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping on the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
If you like Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Crumble you may also like…
Honey Pear Muffins Two Peas and Their Pod
Creme Brulee Muffins Chef in Training