I have been intrigued by the fact that Rachael Ray creates dinners in under 30 minutes. I decided to try her recipe for Korean Style Chicken Noodle Bowl and see if, indeed, I could recreate this dish in the time it took to get all of my kids at the dinner table.
I don’t know how it is at your house but here? Once I have dinner ready it can be a half hour before I can round up all of the kids and actually pray and eat. Like the mom in A Christmas Story, I have not eaten a hot meal in 28 years. Something about saying, “Dinner is ready!” that translates in their heads to one of the following statements:
- Go to the bathroom
- Get a drink
- Finish that video game you are playing
- Send a text to your friend
- Suddenly remember that you have not fed the chickens and it is getting dark
Please, please tell me that it isn’t just my family?
So I figured that a 30 minute meal was doable even if it took 45 minutes. And actually that was how long this took me. When the recipe says that it can be made in less than 30 minutes that is assuming that you have done the prep work and have excellent mise en place skills. I need to work on those, I tend to look a bit like the Swedish Chef in the kitchen. Alas, not real organized and it shows. I am going to work on that this year. No, really.
Is it really a quick, easy chicken recipe?
So, this recipe did take a little longer than the 30 minutes it takes Rachael Ray. It was, however, really quick to put together and pretty good. I did not like the sauce, I thought it was a little bland, so I added peanut butter for a better mouth feel and an extra layer of flavor.
Hers serves 4, mine serves 8. If you have leftovers then this dish will freeze really well.
Korean Style Chicken Noodle Bowl
Adapted from Rachael Ray
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup of tamari sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- hot sauce to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup chopped, roasted peanuts
- Cook the pasta until a la dente and drain.
- Put a tablespoon or so of boiling water,ginger, garlic, tamari, honey, tomato paste, vinegar, sesame oil, hot sauce, and peanut butter in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet or wok heat 2 tbs of peanut oil until shimmering. add the chicken and stir fry over high heat until browned. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and bell pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the scallion and sauce and toss.
- Pour over the drained noodles and mix gently.
- Top with chopped peanuts.
|Nutrition Information:Calories 556
Fat 26.7 (saturated fat 5.1)