Disclaimer: Sue Bee Honey sent me products to use in the development of this recipe.
Autumn. There are so many things I like about it that I can’t list all of them.
- Chilly nights
- Soft sweaters
- Crackling fires
- Comfort food
Oh, and so many more! I love slow cookers this time of year because they make everything easy. Tailgating parties? Check. Quick dinner before trick or treating? Check!
So when Sue Bee more or less challenged me to see what I could come up with I felt I was up to the task. I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
Sliders. C’mon, y’all. They are small bites — just right for your pirate or princess before they head out to fill their bags with candy. They are fun additions to tailgating parties and the food stays warm in the crockpot without electricity. I don’t know about anyone else but our van even has power hookups so the food can finish cooking while you are watching the big game. Who isn’t going to be totally impressed when they come out and are served tangy, sweet pulled chicken with a kick on nutty, chewy oatmeal slider buns sweetened with a little honey. Remember that Honey Oatmeal bread from a few days ago?
I used boneless chicken breast in this because that’s what my family likes but you can certainly use boneless thigh meat. It will actually have more flavor if you use the thigh meat… it’s just that my family prefers the breast meat. As it cooks the flavor melds and intensifies, the chicken becomes tender and full of flavor, and by the time it’s done it is perfection.
I used the Sue Bee Organic Honey here because I felt it had more flavor. You can use what you prefer. With autumn settling in I promise you that this is a recipe that you’ll want in your collection.
Honey Hatch Chile Chicken Sliders
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon chile sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Hatch chile , seeds removed, blackened and chopped (or use it without blackening)
- 1 cup of sliced onion
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast or thighs
- Honey mustard
- Honey Oatmeal bread made into slider buns or your favorite slider buns
- Mix the honey, teriyaki, ketchup, vinegar, bourbon, oil, lime juice, and garlic in a bowl.
- Grease the slow cooker lightly.
- Add the onions and chiles to the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the top.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and cook with the cover off for 30 minutes to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Spread honey mustard on each bun.
- Add sliced Hatch chiles if desired.
- Pile on shredded chicken.
If you liked Honey Hatch Chile Chicken Sliders you may also like…
Honey Garlic Meatball Sliders Restless Chipotle
Honey Balsamic Glazed Chicken Breast Restless Chipotle
Baked Brie with Rosemary, Honey, and Candied Walnuts Will Cook for Friends
Slow Cooker Chipotle Pulled Pork Cookies and Cups