Tender, succulent grilled shrimp are served on a bed of roasted tomatoes and peppers for the most amazing Shrimp Creole you ever put in your mouth. It’s a deceptively quick meal – 30 minutes or less for the whole thing. It’s a great recipe for summer parties!
For this recipe you’ll need: large shrimp, cherry tomatoes in various colors, green Bell pepper, yellow Bell pepper, red Bell pepper, celery, onions, garlic, cayenne, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, sugar, Herbes de Provence, olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, limes, wooden skewers
A few weeks ago I was paging through a copy of a Southern cookbook from the early 1900s. In it was a recipe for Creole Shrimp that was pretty similar to how it’s made nowadays. I was looking at the ingredients and I wondered how in the world I could make an updated version of this iconic dish that would honor the tradition while kicking it up a little.
Making it fresher.
I had a lot to live up to. My best friend, Edye, is from Louisiana. We already argue about the proper way to say praline – I didn’t want to make a traditional creole dish and have her tell me I had completely jacked it up.
The last time she went home to Louisiana I asked her to bring me back some Gulf shrimp. There’s a place in her hometown that has the most incredible shrimp ever. Huge, meaty, tender, fresh…
I decided to grill the shrimp and roast the vegetables for the Creole sauce rather than simmering or sauteeing. OMG it was amazing. Really amazing. So much flavor!
You’re going to love it as much as she did!
Tips for Grilling Shrimp
It’s actually one of the best ways to cook them as far as I’m concerned! So easy!
Experience Level: Easy – some cooking experience
How do you make shrimp on the grill?
- Brush shrimp with oil or butter.
- Season with salt, pepper, or whatever seasonings you’re using.
- Place on a preheated grill until done.
How long do you cook jumbo shrimp on the grill?
- You want shrimp to be just cooked – they get rubbery if they are cooked too long. Plan on about 3 to 5 minutes total, turning once – depending on the size.
Can you grill peeled shrimp?
Yep! Peeled, deveined shrimp are the easiest to work with. Just grill as above – in fact I used peeled, deveined shrimp in this recipe.
How do you grill shrimp on skewers?
- Soak the skewers in water, cayenne, and lime juice for about 30 minutes. The flavor will infuse into the shrimp as they cook.
- Gently push the raw, peeled and deveined shrimp on the skewer so that it goes through both sides and the shrimp forms a “C”
- Don’t crowd the shrimp, make sure there is space between them.
How to Roast Vegetables
The magic in my updated version of Shrimp Creole is in roasting the vegetables for the sauce rather than boiling them together. Roasting brings out sweetness and flavor like nothing else. Be sure that your oven is completely preheated before putting the pan of vegetables in it.
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Place the vegetables that you’ve prepared for roasting in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and seasoning.
- Toss until the vegetables are coated with oil.
- Place the vegetables on a heavy baking sheet with plenty of space between them.
- Roast for 10 to 20 minutes, or until charred areas appear on the vegetables and they are tender.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
If there’s any particular secret ingredient in this recipe it’s the Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. Spicy and flavorful – it’s used to season the shrimp and the sauce.
More Restless Chipotle Recipes with Tony Chachere’s Seasoning
I really do use this stuff a lot. I know that you probably HATE buying an ingredient you’re never going to use again, right? Here are some more recipes that use this product.
Grilled Shrimp Creole Recipe
This shrimp Creole is as fresh and summery as it can be. My friend told me that she took some to work the day after we had it and it was just as good warmed up. I don’t know about that – I’d suggest eating it all the day you make it. Believe me, that won’t be difficult. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Grilled Shrimp Creole
- 6 wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 24 shrimp, jumbo or large
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, , heirloom mixed colors
- 2 tablespoons green Bell pepper, , large dice
- 1/2 cup onion, , large dice
- 1/4 cup yellow Bell pepper, ,large dice
- 1/4 cup red Bell pepper, , large dice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1/2 cup celery, ,sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, , if needed
- Put the water, lime juice, and cayenne in a casserole dish and add skewers.
- Set aside.
Roasted Tomato Creole Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, and onion to a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil and herbes de Provence - mix well so that all the vegetables are coated.
- Place the vegetables on a heavy baking sheet without overcrowding.
- Put into the oven until the vegetables are tender and charred areas appear on the skins. About 10 to 20 minutes. Watch carefully!
- Meanwhile add the remaining olive oil to a heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Heat it up and add the garlic and celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Add the roasted vegetables.
- Gently stir in salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with a little Tony Chachere's
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add sugar if needed. Set aside in a warm spot.
- Heat up the grill.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Remove skewers from water.
- Add about 4 shrimp to each skewer, making sure there is space between each.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Tony Chachere's seasoning - more if you like spicy and less if you like it less spicy.
- Grill about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve the skewers over the roasted Creole sauce.
If you like this vintage Shrimp Creole recipe you may also like these vintage favorites…
rom left to right: Chicken and Noodles, Beef Tips and Gravy, King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Included in Meal Plan Monday– Check it out!Let's Keep in Touch!