French Breakfast Puffs are delicious little bites of goodness that are donut-like in flavor but way easier to make. They are tender and sweet with a cinnamon sugar coating that makes them addictive.
They similar to a muffin in the way that they are made but that’s where any similarity ends. Once they are baked you remove them from the muffin cups, dip them in melted butter, and roll them in sugar and cinnamon mixture. Serve them warm with coffee or tea or vodka… you know – whatever you start the morning with at your house.
One of the tricks that I have when I am using cinnamon is to mix a couple of different types together. Penzey’s has a ton of different kinds of cinnamon and each has a different flavor profile. I am partial to the Vietnamese because it’s a bit more spicy. And if you’d like this to be just a little spicier you know I am not going to complain if you put a little chipotle in there, right? Just a pinch.
You can freeze these but don’t dip them in the butter before freezing. Freeze them then when you are ready to serve put them in a preheated 375F oven until they are warm, then dip in the melted butter and roll in the sugar. I think you’ll like them!
French Breakfast Puffs Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar, (divided use)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/ 2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Put the silicone liners in the muffin cups
- Beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and egg until light.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Immediately remove from muffin cups and dip in melted butter.
- Roll in mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Serve warm.
Let's Keep in Touch!