Freezer dinner rolls are easy to make and when you serve them steaming hot with butter melting into a golden pool...maybe a little wildflower honey... well dinner just got really special. Having brown and serve rolls all ready to go in the freezer is pretty handy — and it makes you look good, too.
About ten minutes before dinner is going to be ready you just pop them in the oven to finish browning and to warm them up. You've already cooked them most of the way so you don't have to thaw them or wait for them to rise. You can also freeze these unbaked, just take them out of the freezer about two hours before you want to serve them.
I don't know — I have this weird fantasy about being a 1950s kind of mom and serving hot, homemade rolls with the family dinner. Well, that doesn't happen much around here but when I remember to make these homemade freezer dinner rolls it happens a lot more often. With my schedule and the kids' schedule and my husband's schedule dinner time can be crazy. This recipe makes soup or salad into a quick, filling meal.
I also like to have these around so that when someone needs a meal or a blessing I can take over some hot rolls without it being totally stressful. You can double or triple the freezer dinner roll recipe pretty easily and you can adjust the size of the rolls to be exactly what you want. Big giant rolls for family dinners or smaller, dainty rolls for special occasions — it's up to you.
This recipe is going to make your life easier and your reputation as a cook a whole lot more impressive.
Freezer Dinner RollsPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Mix yeast and lukewarm water with about 2 tbs of the sugar.
- Let proof 10 minutes or until it gets frothy.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and mix with the milk and eggs.
- Beat the mixture well.
- Add the liquid ingredients, salt and sugar to the yeast.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour until dough is formed.
- Knead for 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary to get a soft, elastic dough.
- Let rest 20 minutes.
- Punch down, shape into 24 rolls and place on greased baking sheets.
To Freeze for Baking Later
- Freeze at this point, then bag in ziploc bags when frozen.
- May be frozen up to 4 weeks.
- When ready to use remove from freezer and place on greased baking sheet for 1 1/2 hours to thaw and rise.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
For Brown and Serve Rolls
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 until done but not browned about 8-10 minutes.
- Cool and freeze.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and bake until golden brown...about 10 minutes.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you liked Freezer Dinner Rolls Two Ways you might also like:
Melonpan, A Unique Japanese Snack Bread Restless Chipotle
Easy Quick Croissants Restless Chipotle