This easy Tuna Tetrazzini recipe is a classic casserole made with pasta, tuna, and a creamy-cheesy sauce. Mushrooms, red peppers, and black olives are added to this recipe to jazz it up and add color.
I love pasta in all of its varied forms from ravioli to angel hair. I don’t get to eat it very much because carbohydrates and I are not best friends but I absolutely treat myself to it once in awhile. A heavy duty comfort food for me is an easy tuna tetrazzini because it’s creamy and carby and totally awesome…
Plus all of the cheese covers the taste of tuna — I am not a fish person.
If you grew up in the 50s, 60s, or 70s you probably ate tuna tetrazzini regularly. It was a foundational recipe on most moms’ menus because it is so easy, inexpensive, and family friendly. You can even make it ahead and freeze it. I love this version because the Provolone gives it a slightly different flavor and the vegetables are a nice textural contrast to the noodles. I have no idea where the recipe came from — I’ve been making it as long as I can remember.
If you like you can sprinkle a cup of Panko crumbs over the top of this easy tuna tetrazzini recipe before baking to add a little crunch.
Not Your Mom's Tuna TetrazziniPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 pound linguine, , broken in 2 - 3 inch lengths and cooked a la dente
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup aged, , imported provolone, grated (smoked provolone is also good)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella grated
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup black olives, , sliced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 -3 cans of albacore tuna, , drained.
- Saute pepper, mushrooms, garlic, and onion in a little olive oil until tender.
- Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- When it starts to bubble, add flour and salt and mix to a smooth paste.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add half and half, cream, and cheese (except mozzarella) keeping it smooth.
- Stir until thickened. Add onion mixture and albacore.
- Mix into cooked pasta and spoon into a buttered casserole.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- (to freeze stop here, seal and freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking)
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.