I like easy food for busy days. At this point in my life most of my days are busy and I don’t get to cook the way I would like to. I just don’t have time or the energy at the end of my day. I am not organized enough to spend time on the weekends cooking ahead. Nope. I like easy meals better each day.
One thing I absolutely love is tamales but they are very labor intensive. The corn husks are not available in all parts of the country so some of my readers might not be able to complete the recipe and create the yumminess. I wanted to create something that would have the flavor without the labor intensiveness and with ingredients most of you could find in your local store.
Hmmm…What about a casserole? Brilliant! Quick, easy, yummy comfort food…from my house to yours. This casserole takes about 30 minutes. You could technically put it together ahead of time if you like. The enchilada sauce is a major flavor ingredient of this recipe so either make homemade enchilada sauce or get a really good commercial sauce. The casserole is really not spicy. If you like it spicier then add about 2 – 3 tablespoons chopped chipotle in adobo.
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro choppped
- 1 onion, chopped and sauteed
- 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 cups homemade cornbread mix or boxed mix
- 1 (8-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2-3 Tbs chipotle in adobo (may omit)
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce or 1 10 oz. can
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a 13 x9 inch pan. Mix 1/2 cup of the sauce with the chicken and spread the chicken over the sauce in the dish. Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Mix the cornbread mix with the creamed corn, milk, eggs, cumin, cilantro, chiles, and chipotle. Stir to blend and spoon over the chicken.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot topped with sour cream.
8 servingsLet's Keep in Touch!