This slow cooker chicken mole stew brings the taste (and aroma) of Mexico right into your kitchen. This stew is full of flavor – spicy, tangy, rich, sweet, and complex. And it’s so easy that you’ll want to make it again and again. Just dump everything in the slow cooker and when you open your door you’ll be greeted with the scent of yumminess so strong that your mouth will water. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Normally mole (pronounced MOE-lay — and it has nothing at all to do with moles) can take up a lot of time but making it in the slow cooker takes care of all of that without having to babysit the bubbling stew all day long to make sure it doesn’t scorch. The chicken just melts in the smoky sauce and takes on all of the flavor. It really is the most tender chicken you’ll ever put in your mouth!
This does take a few more steps that a regular “dump and go” slow cooker meal, but it is SO worth it. You need to simmer the sauce ingredients and then blend them until smooth. This makes pulls the sauce together. The chicken probably doesn’t need to be browned if you are rushed for time but the browning does add to the overall flavor of the dish.
I made this a little differently. In Mexico the sauce has raisins in it but I really like using dates instead. I think they compliment the smokiness of the chipotle better than the raisins do. Feel free to use whichever you want.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Mole StewPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 4 pounds of boneless chicken breast or thighs
- Olive oil for browning
- 1 tablespoon chile infused oil or olive oil
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 6 garlic cloves, , chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 chipotle chiles, (or to taste; may substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle granules)
- 1/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, , chopped
- 1 tablespoon roasted cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups corn, , optional
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until it gets very hot.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and pumpkin seeds in the oil until onion is transparent.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for wine.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place the mole in a blender a little at a time, blending until smooth in batches.
- Stir in the wine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cut the chicken into chunks.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet.
- Brown the chicken quickly in the oil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chicken and mole sauce to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Stir in corn in the last hour if desired.
- Serve with rice, tortillas, and salad.