Double chocolate chip muffins made from scratch are a chocolate lover’s dream. Cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate chips give this recipe all the flavor plus I’ve got insider tips on how to make muffins fluffy and moist.
Ingredients list: bittersweet chocolate chips, dark cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, sour cream, butter, Confectioner’s sugar, milk, pecans
Table of Contents
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins for Breakfast?
I did not used to be an anything goes for breakfast type person. I believed in healthy meals exclusively with plenty of whole grains and balanced proteins. To me chocolate muffins were just a little lower on the scale than cheesecake for breakfast – not that THAT hasn’t been done here before.
Then along came my husband. The man that totally threw all of my nutritional focus up in the air and laughed while the imaginary confetti of it showered around us.
He introduced snacks into our house… like chips and not-home-made stuff. Think Twinkies. And double chocolate chip muffins.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffin Perfection Right Here
These are perfect – moist, chocolaty, and topped with a sweet butter glaze and toasted pecans. There are just enough chocolate chips to give you a gooey punch of chocolate flavor in each bite.
I’ll admit that this isn’t exactly the breakfast of champions but who can say that a little chocolaty goodness can’t inspire you to excellence once in awhile, right?
If you want some tips on making them a little healthier you’ll find some great ideas here.
More Muffin Recipes
- Peanut Butter Muffins are deliciously different and I won’t tell if you toss a few chocolate chips in there.
- White Chocolate Blueberry Muffins are one of my favorites. There’s something about the white chocolate and fresh blueberry that I love.
- Fresh Peach Muffins with White Chocolate Chips are the same as above only with peaches. Hey, you can never have too much of a good thing, right?
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins are classic breakfast muffins with plump, juicy blueberries. The buttermilk makes them ultra tender and gives them a little bit of tangy goodness.
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Crumble are like the bakery muffins. And I love blueberries – if you couldn’t tell.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are one of my kids’ favorites. They’re the perfect way to use up ripe bananas.
Tips for Perfect Muffins
- Consider the size of your muffin pan. A standard size pan is about 2 1/2-inches in diameter and uses 1/3 cup of batter, a Texas (or jumbo) sized pan is about 3 1/2-inches and uses 1/2 cup of batter, and a mini muffin pan is about 1 1/2-inches and uses 2 tablespoons of batter.
- While muffins can be made in greased muffin pans it’s so much easier to make them in either the paper muffin liners or the re-useable silicone ones. Plus muffins made in just the muffin pan without liners do not rise as high as the ones made in paper liners. I don’t think they rise as high with silicone liners either – but that’s my opinion.
- Flour for muffins needs to be sifted before measuring whether the recipe calls for it or not. It lightens it up and gives you a more tender end result.
- Always combine your dry ingredients in one bowl, your wet ingredients in another, and mix the wet into the dry in as few strokes as possible.
- Add chocolate chips, nuts, or other add-in ingredients to the dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients. This will help keep you from overmixing.
- Mix muffin batter ONLY until just blended – there will be bits and lumps in the batter. It’s ok. You don’t want a smooth batter.
- Spoon into the muffin cups and bake immediately. The longer they wait to be baked the less rise you will get. Baking powder and baking soda start to lose oomph once wet and you’ll end up with heavy muffins that don’t rise.
- You can bake muffins and freeze them if you want to – they freeze really well.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Restless Chipotle & Co. Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
Muffins are so easy to make, and they freeze well, so I don’t understand why I don’t make them for breakfast more than I do! One of the things that I found to be super important if I wanted muffin recipes to come out perfectly was a sturdy, commercial grade muffin pan like this one.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
If you don’t have a chocolate muffin recipe in your collection I think you’ll really like this one. I don’t add pecans to the inside of these because I don’t like the texture but you certainly could instead of sprinkling them on the top.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Double Chocolate Chip and Pecan MuffinsPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream, full fat – no substitutions
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon milk , or as needed for consistency
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture and the chocolate chips and mix quickly – just until all the ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan until it turns golden brown – don’t let it get to dark.
- Pour the melted butter into a bowl – try not to get the dark brown bits.
- Mix in the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth and a good spreading consistency – add a little cream if you need to.
- Spoon over the top of the hot muffins and then sprinkle with the toasted pecans.
Submit Your Own Images
Let's Keep in Touch!